Daily Tweet

MyMindsEye

Re: Daily Tweet

Postby MyMindsEye » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:07 pm

Same here.
As a youngster, I skated competitively. Speed Skating. Won state championship in my division 1966-67
I remember being handicapped by the rink owner on Tuesday family skate night. Sometimes halfway back.
Notoriety sucks when your young. :angry:
ALL SKATE! :D
Last edited by MyMindsEye on Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:no: Be chary of giving advice. Wise men don't need it, Fools won't heed it. - MmE
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:17 pm

Awesome, were your floors wood and your wheels wood, and needed to work in resin before the competitive races? I wonder what that did to our lungs?
I hated when they coated the floors with urethane though; talk about drag. That’s when I quit.

My partner on team races was taller and could start faster. At state in Dallas, he fouled out starting on our first race and broke a wheel on the other. I watched both races from the middle of the floor. One of them was two miles.

I took 5th in a citywide 5 mile race. It took me 2 1/2 miles to pass a 12 year old national champion. I was 16.

Did y’all ‘shoot the duck’ race?
Last edited by Underdog on Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I bought my friend an elephant for his room. He said, "Thanks." I said, "Don't mention it."
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:21 pm

Take a common object and place it in a ziplock baggie and seal it. Now, doesn’t it look sterile?
I bought my friend an elephant for his room. He said, "Thanks." I said, "Don't mention it."
MyMindsEye

Postby MyMindsEye » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:27 pm

Underdog wrote:
MyMindsEye wrote:Same here.
As a youngster, I skated competitively. Speed Skating. Won state championship in my division 1966-67
I remember being handicapped by the rink owner on Tuesday family skate night. Sometimes halfway back.
Notoriety sucks when your young. :angry:
ALL SKATE! :D

Awesome, were your floors wood and your wheels wood, and needed to work in resin before the competitive races? I wonder what that did to our lungs?
I hated when they coated the floors with urethane though; talk about drag. That’s when I quit.

My partner on team races was taller and could start faster. At state in Dallas, he fouled out starting on our first race and broke a wheel on the other. I watched both races from the middle of the floor. One of them was two miles.

I took 5th in a citywide 5 mile race. It took me 2 1/2 miles to pass a 12 year old national champion. I was 16.

Yeah, Competed on both. Our neighborhood rink, "Roller Gardens" was a slab that eventually topcoated with urethane in 69 or 70 but the other local rink "Skate Ranch" was good ol' hardwood. It too eventually resurfaced probably mid 70s. Yes, rosin applied certainly enhanced grip especially for the DEXTERS speed wheels. Rinks began slowly prohibiting rosin on their floors prior to urethane applications either because, of air quality or the coming finishes or both. Quite a challenge to grip.
My heats were the 220, 440 and 880 and my last season included the 2 mi 4-man relay. Being the smallest, I was the closer. The push-offs from those older guys was INTENSELY Wild.
Like you, it ended shortly after the refinishing and yes, was quite literally a DRAG. It was like racing with sealed bearing precision skates.
My brother-in-law, who was my coach, continued for a few years longer. He experimented with things like a size 12 plate on a 10 boot (Extended wheelbase) and grooving wood wheels on a lathe and filling with silicone. Had to modify starting methods (running sideways) but worked amazing until officials outlawed it. So much for innovation.
As for me?? well, girls, cars and general teen rowdiness ensued and ..................here we are.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane! They were great times indeed! :cheers:
:no: Be chary of giving advice. Wise men don't need it, Fools won't heed it. - MmE
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:31 pm

Underdog wrote:

To explain, the ‘shoot the duck’ we had was when you squat down on one skate and wrapped your other leg around your ankle.

One person would be in that position while the partner would push wheel barrow style.

You couldn’t squat down on both skates because you’d wind up simply crouching by the time you reached the first corner.
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:00 pm

Biden finally admitted he and Obama didn’t know what they were doing during their administration. He wants to bring manufacturing jobs back despite Obama saying there is no magic wand to do that. And he’s going for a nationalistic populism by saying America first. (Buy American and hire American)What a hate filled non-globalist xenophobe.
What next? Are the six people in his audience going to chant USA USA USA?
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:07 pm

If one half the country thinks that re-imagining the police system is the way to go, and the other half thinks better training and accountability is the way to go, then one half the country is loopy... not saying which is which.
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:41 pm

Ok I can calm down now, I’ve sent in my tax form.
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:30 am

Million Dollar Idea: Burnable American Flags. Fire retardant materials require far too much lighter fluid to successfully ignite the fabric.
MyMindsEye

Postby MyMindsEye » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:44 am

Underdog wrote:Million Dollar Idea: Burnable American Flags. Fire retardant materials require far too much lighter fluid to successfully ignite the fabric.

Making them explosive (self prosecuting?) would be much more entertaining. :clap:

Return to “Writing”