Photo Contest Theme Suggestions Please

mickey2bagz
Quartermaster

Photo Contest Theme Suggestions Please

Postby mickey2bagz » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:06 pm

Hi Guys

It's some time since we asked for photo contest theme suggestions, so here we are asking afresh :)

If you have any original suggestions for themes we will use them if at all possible. If you would like to see a particular theme just please check the galleries to make sure it hasn't been used recently, then post it right in here and we will try our best to include it. We welcome ideas for all contests, Advanced, Bonus and Freestyle, all suggestions are welcome! :)
Underdog

Re: Photo Contest Theme Suggestions Please

Postby Underdog » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:55 pm

I don't know if I've ever seen it, but something I think would be fun is a contest where the photograph is straight out of the camera; no tone, no editing, nothing. But it is to look like it had been photoshopped in some surreal or unrealistic way. A snapshot that couldn't happen so to speak. If you use thread or something, you can't clone it out.
I bought my friend an elephant for his room. He said, "Thanks." I said, "Don't mention it."
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:12 pm

Actually, I did most of my contest idea brainstorming with TerryLea. I just thought she would have more clout than me if she thought any of my ideas worthy.

I'll see if I can search and find them.

It seems like another one of them had to do with choosing a song, book or poem and then coming up with an image that fit the lyrics, text or theme of the subject.

Memes are all the rage on the internet... maybe come up with a meme-like parody. That would maybe work better in photo-edits though.
I bought my friend an elephant for his room. He said, "Thanks." I said, "Don't mention it."
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:21 pm

You have to understand, once you turn me on, it's hard to find the off button.

How about an homage to Dagger Bay Photographs?

Here's my tribute to 2nd Place Trophy Winner "You've Got A Friend":

entryshow.php?e=12405

Homage.jpg
Homage.jpg (165.29 KiB) Viewed 447 times
mickey2bagz
Quartermaster

Postby mickey2bagz » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:02 am

Underdog wrote:I don't know if I've ever seen it, but something I think would be fun is a contest where the photograph is straight out of the camera; no tone, no editing, nothing. But it is to look like it had been photoshopped in some surreal or unrealistic way. A snapshot that couldn't happen so to speak. If you use thread or something, you can't clone it out.

Wow, nice one Underdog, we actually have exactly this contest coming up on March 4th. The idea is that you use a method of your own to produce a 'trick shot' which looks unreal, maybe looks photoshopped, but it must come straight from your camera and not done with post editing. I have just added the contest to 'Upcoming Contests' thread. Below is the Theme post from the contest showing what is required, when you enter you just post the TOP finished item, not the method as shown here, though an explanation note would be cool. :) (BTW you can clone out strings, stands and such, as per Advanced rules, no problem)

Trick Shots - March 4th (2 weeks to enter)
mickey2bagz
Quartermaster

Postby mickey2bagz » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:14 am

Underdog wrote:Actually, I did most of my contest idea brainstorming with TerryLea. I just thought she would have more clout than me if she thought any of my ideas worthy.

I'll see if I can search and find them.

It seems like another one of them had to do with choosing a song, book or poem and then coming up with an image that fit the lyrics, text or theme of the subject.

Memes are all the rage on the internet... maybe come up with a meme-like parody. That would maybe work better in photo-edits though.

Anything which was good enough for Terry is good enough for all of us! :)

The idea of doing Book, Music CD covers etc is great, we have run them before but a long long time ago. So thanks Underdog, time to do some more! :) Probably best run as Bonus or Freestyle.
MsgtBob

Postby MsgtBob » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:17 am

I don't know how many photographers here stay up all night, but the guy that came out to do Preventive Maintenance on my laundry unit yesterday saw I was on Dagger Bay, and said he was a photographer and showed me some of his stuff. The one that I really (really) liked the most, was one of the milky way. The catch: it wasn't taken at sunrise or sunset - there was a glow like that on the horizon, but it was from the moon going below the horizon (30 second exposure at ISO 5000). It gave the milky way some beautiful rainbow-like coloring. SO maybe something like this would make a good contest? Oh yeah, I did tell him to join the site. :)
Aargh!
mickey2bagz
Quartermaster

Postby mickey2bagz » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:11 pm

MsgtBob wrote:I don't know how many photographers here stay up all night, but the guy that came out to do Preventive Maintenance on my laundry unit yesterday saw I was on Dagger Bay, and said he was a photographer and showed me some of his stuff. The one that I really (really) liked the most, was one of the milky way. The catch: it wasn't taken at sunrise or sunset - there was a glow like that on the horizon, but it was from the moon going below the horizon (30 second exposure at ISO 5000). It gave the milky way some beautiful rainbow-like coloring. SO maybe something like this would make a good contest? Oh yeah, I did tell him to join the site. :)

Thanks Bob, a great suggestion. It's a perfect opportunity for people with nice equipment to show us what they can do! I'm thinking we would need to run the contest for maybe a month or more to allow time to shoot.

Well done on the recruitment drive, hope your man turns up here to join in the fun! :)
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:28 pm

Along the lines of the homage to the Dagger Bay photographs, there is also the twist of trying to imitate famous historical photographs or even classic paintings.
mickey2bagz
Quartermaster

Postby mickey2bagz » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:53 pm

Underdog wrote:Along the lines of the homage to the Dagger Bay photographs, there is also the twist of trying to imitate famous historical photographs or even classic paintings.

This is now up as a Freestyle contest starting Sunday 17th.

Thanks for the great suggestion Underdog, check the 'Upcoming Contests' thread! :)

Return to “Photography”