Changes as it happened .. tales from the QM deck

mickey2bagz
Quartermaster

Changes as it happened .. tales from the QM deck

Postby mickey2bagz » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:51 am

As it happened:

It was another gloomy winter week, another gloomy winter Friday. Defyaugury walked along the cold lonely corridor lined with portraits of former famous QMs. Reaching the photo deck meeting room he paused outside, then as was the custom, he took off his QM’s hat and hung it on the peg. Taking the woollen scarf with the ‘James’ motif he wrapped it around his shoulders. He smiled as he fondly remembered when Natalie had knitted a new one for the whole crew. Already on the peg was a QM hat marked ‘mickey2bagz’.

James tapped on the door “ coming ready or not” and walked in.

The QM meetings room on the photo deck was, as usual, well below zero and the inside of the window covered in ice. On the bare floorboards under the window, dressed in a knitted scarf with a ‘Mick’ motif, was an old guy twisted up trying to focus a cheap looking camera on the ice patterns.

“That you James?” he said, not even bothering to turn around. “ Won’t be a minute chap, this battery has just about had it. Keep back, I don’t want the ice to start melting” … “oh barnacle, it’s dead”

James sat down on the makeshift orange box chair. “ I see the bailiffs have been again”

“Yes” sighed Mick, “hope you don’t need the rest room … they even took the seat this time”

“No I’m good ... now can we get this over with before bits start falling off me?”

“Yes ok, it won’t take long, I had an idea how to get members entering more photo contests”

“ Go on” said James, with a look of grim resignation. “What is it this time Einstein?”

“Well, I've been looking at numbers since Natalie stepped down, you remember we always left numbers to her because she is way smarter than us? Well, it seems that more contests don't necessarily mean more entries, have you noticed how we always seem to get more members entering when they have more time to enter? So how about we change the pace so that we maybe have fewer Advanced contests but we always give them more time to enter eh? You know, like maybe a few more days every time? "

“ You mean like I suggested a long time ago? ... did you hear me?”

“Pardon?” said Mick, which sort of answered the question

“Oh nothing” said James, “ Ok let’s try it … when do you want to start?”

“I’ve already started ... from now on all the 7 day Advanced contests will run for 11 days followed by 3 days voting”

“Sounds good to me” said James. “ So how do you expect people to know about this great idea?”

“That’s elementary my dear chap” said Mick, using one of his irritating English expressions.

There was suddenly a loud hammering on the door and they both sat rigid with fear.

“Just as soon as the bailiffs have gone, I’ll go down and post it in the forum” whispered Mick.
MyMindsEye

Re: Changes as it happened .. tales from the QM deck

Postby MyMindsEye » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:14 pm

Sounds ok to me. I would however, like to see more theme variety rather than the routine annual "Picture This".
Lets get creative with the themes. Perhaps entries are weak due to uninteresting themes. (Im good with all but others .....maybe not-so-much).
Lets rally the troops for contest theme ideas.(again)!!!! :cheers:
PS.Great writing, BTW, cleverly creative!
Keep up the good work. We all appreciate the tireless :augh: efforts of the QMs to keep us sailing. :cheers:

mickey2bagz wrote:As it happened:

It was another gloomy winter week, another gloomy winter Friday. Defyaugury walked along the cold lonely corridor lined with portraits of former famous QMs. Reaching the photo deck meeting room he paused outside, then as was the custom, he took off his QM’s hat and hung it on the peg. Taking the woollen scarf with the ‘James’ motif he wrapped it around his shoulders. He smiled as he fondly remembered when Natalie had knitted a new one for the whole crew. Already on the peg was a QM hat marked ‘mickey2bagz’.

James tapped on the door “ coming ready or not” and walked in.

The QM meetings room on the photo deck was, as usual, well below zero and the inside of the window covered in ice. On the bare floorboards under the window, dressed in a knitted scarf with a ‘Mick’ motif, was an old guy twisted up trying to focus a cheap looking camera on the ice patterns.

“That you James?” he said, not even bothering to turn around. “ Won’t be a minute chap, this battery has just about had it. Keep back, I don’t want the ice to start melting” … “oh barnacle, it’s dead”

James sat down on the makeshift orange box chair. “ I see the bailiffs have been again”

“Yes” sighed Mick, “hope you don’t need the rest room … they even took the seat this time”

“No I’m good ... now can we get this over with before bits start falling off me?”

“Yes ok, it won’t take long, I had an idea how to get members entering more photo contests”

“ Go on” said James, with a look of grim resignation. “What is it this time Einstein?”

“Well, I've been looking at numbers since Natalie stepped down, you remember we always left numbers to her because she is way smarter than us? Well, it seems that more contests don't necessarily mean more entries, have you noticed how we always seem to get more members entering when they have more time to enter? So how about we change the pace so that we maybe have fewer Advanced contests but we always give them more time to enter eh? You know, like maybe a few more days every time? "

“ You mean like I suggested a long time ago? ... did you hear me?”

“Pardon?” said Mick, which sort of answered the question

“Oh nothing” said James, “ Ok let’s try it … when do you want to start?”

“I’ve already started ... from now on all the 7 day Advanced contests will run for 11 days followed by 3 days voting”

“Sounds good to me” said James. “ So how do you expect people to know about this great idea?”

“That’s elementary my dear chap” said Mick, using one of his irritating English expressions.

There was suddenly a loud hammering on the door and they both sat rigid with fear.

“Just as soon as the bailiffs have gone, I’ll go down and post it in the forum” whispered Mick.
:no: Be chary of giving advice. Wise men don't need it, Fools won't heed it. - MmE
mickey2bagz
Quartermaster

Postby mickey2bagz » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:01 pm

MyMindsEye wrote:Sounds ok to me. I would however, like to see more theme variety rather than the routine annual "Picture This".
Lets get creative with the themes. Perhaps entries are weak due to uninteresting themes. (Im good with all but others .....maybe not-so-much).
Lets rally the troops for contest theme ideas.(again)!!!! :cheers:
PS.Great writing, BTW, cleverly creative!
Keep up the good work. We all appreciate the tireless :augh: efforts of the QMs to keep us sailing. :cheers:

Thanks very much for the encouraging words, they are very welcome. :)

Yes, it's always difficult to know what will work with themes. Sometimes a great creative contest will attract hardly any entries, sometimes a theme which looks boring will attract loads. It's a strange old business, but YES of course we want to attract ideas so maybe it's time for a new 'theme suggestions' thread. I shall make it so, thanks MME :cheers:
GwenBriar

Postby GwenBriar » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:10 pm

The problems here go far deeper than photo contest themes. For instance, there are over 1400 members, more each day, and only the first 300 to 400 have ever participated. Who ARE these people? Are any of them really people? Why did they join? Is there any way to find out what they might participate in?

On photography - My interest is seeing things I haven't seen before. That is the second reason (after the fact I know squat about the rules of "good" photography) that I rarely enter. I have nothing new to say about the subjects. Anybody can google objects or places and find thousands of images. I think better themes would be "advertise something" or "illustrate something" "fake something" "create something" or even, like in game chops, find something using 2 letters. Keep up the good work quartermasters. I don't envy you your tasks. :cheer:

PS Even the contests that have entries in the 20s are usually just 4 or 5 different people doing their max 5 pictures.
mickey2bagz
Quartermaster

Postby mickey2bagz » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:13 am

GwenBriar wrote:The problems here go far deeper than photo contest themes. For instance, there are over 1400 members, more each day, and only the first 300 to 400 have ever participated. Who ARE these people? Are any of them really people? Why did they join? Is there any way to find out what they might participate in?

On photography - My interest is seeing things I haven't seen before. That is the second reason (after the fact I know squat about the rules of "good" photography) that I rarely enter. I have nothing new to say about the subjects. Anybody can google objects or places and find thousands of images. I think better themes would be "advertise something" or "illustrate something" "fake something" "create something" or even, like in game chops, find something using 2 letters. Keep up the good work quartermasters. I don't envy you your tasks. :cheer:

PS Even the contests that have entries in the 20s are usually just 4 or 5 different people doing their max 5 pictures.

Thanks Gwen.

It is an unfathomable task trying to understand why people join up but never take part, we've looked at it all ways, tried different ways of reaching people, asked in the forum and received answers from good folks like yourself trying to help. It seems that there is no explanation except that people move on, maybe they join for a look around then leave but their membership does not cancel, it stays forever. This isn't anything new though, it was always like this even when there was far more participation throughout the site. It's just that in those halcyon days it wasn't so noticeable. The truth is that we can only keep on trying new angles, asking for opinions and trying to give people what they ask for, as far as that is possible. We have to look at each new idea or request as items on a balance which has to stay kinda level in order to be fair to everybody. As you say, it isn't an easy task.

Regarding your own points on photography. We do have people here who are excellent photographers with good equipment and maybe a lifetime of enjoying photography as a hobby or even as a profession. They do not always win the contests. They may win the contests based on technical ability, but we have many contests which do not rely on traditional photographic skills. We also have contests without editing rules in the Freestyle section and others with very few rules in the Bonus section. In Freestyle you can chop to create your entry and the only requirement is that you must have taken all the shots you use. That's the only difference between Freestyle photo and the FX chop contests where you are allowed to use other people's material. Bonus is similar, but it varies each time so you need to check the individual contest rule. There is plenty of freedom for artistic expression nowadays on the photo deck. These 'artistic' contests are also there for the technical photographers, so they can enter with a single image if they like. It is a totally level field.

(unashamed plug) There is a great Freestyle coming up next week called 'Famous' where you use anything you like to parody a famous scene, place, classic painting or photograph, anything which can be thought of as famous. So how about, for instance, a Mt Rushmore of citrus fruits ... do it any way you like and it relies more on your artistic imagination than your photo skills. Have a look through the past Freestyle contests and you'll see a lot of similar themes.

Many thanks for your input Gwen :)
Diogenese
Quartermaster

Postby Diogenese » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:53 pm

A lot of those sign ups are probably bots. I get rid of the obvious ones, but if they don't spam us, or have obviously spammy links I leave them alone because you can never tell. There probably are a number of people who have signed up to look at things, but don't have the time to participate. Essentially if the last login date is the same as the creation date it's either a bot or somebody who isn't going to participate.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. :roll:

| General FAQ | Effects FAQ | Illustration FAQ | Photography FAQ | Writing FAQ | 3D FAQ | Brawl FAQ | BotS FAQ |
Maurinetal

Changes as it happened tales from the QM deck

Postby Maurinetal » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:55 pm

By the way. Some time last week I noticed a green 3-series get into a race with a vette. There was also a Supra nearby. 3-series blew the doors off this vette. Was that you by chance?
Attachments
279.gif
279.gif (3.1 KiB) Viewed 102 times
IcyAll

Postby IcyAll » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:43 am

I've been spammed twice in the last week or so, I just ignore them because that's the way some people make a living, dog save them.

As for contests, I try to enter as many as I can, as often as I can, because it's fun. I get really aggravated when entries that are NOT GOOD win. ;) ha ha ha

But I guess I'm sorta running out of shoebox stuff for some of the repeat contests.

In my camera club - 10 years ago or so - we started a contest where everyone took a picture of the same thing and we compared. Obviously we here are not in the same places, but we travel! Maybe a series of "your photograph of ______" and run through famous things people all take pictures of. The Golden Gate Bridge, for example. The Statue of Liberty. The Arc de Triumph. The Eiffel Tower. Buckingham Palace. Niagra Falls. Macchu Pichu (is that how it's spelled?) The Alps. The Dolomites. Or countries. Your best photograph that says "United States" or "Italy" or "Russia", etc.

Which reminds me - have we had a "waterfalls" contest ever? I fondly recall a "tree" contest at W1K - have we had those here?

Blah, blah, blah ... cold Monday morning meanderings.
I See
mickey2bagz
Quartermaster

Postby mickey2bagz » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:35 am

IcyAll wrote:I've been spammed twice in the last week or so, I just ignore them because that's the way some people make a living, dog save them.

As for contests, I try to enter as many as I can, as often as I can, because it's fun. I get really aggravated when entries that are NOT GOOD win. ;) ha ha ha

But I guess I'm sorta running out of shoebox stuff for some of the repeat contests.

In my camera club - 10 years ago or so - we started a contest where everyone took a picture of the same thing and we compared. Obviously we here are not in the same places, but we travel! Maybe a series of "your photograph of ______" and run through famous things people all take pictures of. The Golden Gate Bridge, for example. The Statue of Liberty. The Arc de Triumph. The Eiffel Tower. Buckingham Palace. Niagra Falls. Macchu Pichu (is that how it's spelled?) The Alps. The Dolomites. Or countries. Your best photograph that says "United States" or "Italy" or "Russia", etc.

Which reminds me - have we had a "waterfalls" contest ever? I fondly recall a "tree" contest at W1K - have we had those here?

Blah, blah, blah ... cold Monday morning meanderings.

Good ideas Icy, thanks. We have had some tree contests but maybe it's time for another. I don't think we've had Waterfalls, but I can soon sort that one out. Travel shots, yes we've had those 'famous tourist landmark' type things but I'll think up a new one. It's a little difficult nailing down a particular target country, but I'm sure we can come up with something similar. And thanks for entering contests and supporting the site. :)
mickey2bagz
Quartermaster

Postby mickey2bagz » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:56 am

Thanks for the Bling and the suggestion contained therein Bob. I think we may be able to turn that into a new series of contests! Watch this space, I'll see what I can do :)

Return to “Photography”