2019 Calendar Corsair Challenge

pietopper

Re: 2019 Calendar Corsair Challenge

Postby pietopper » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:47 pm

I have missed two months, but I plan to resume this month. Some of you have noticed my absence and even queried my wife (Jenna/Droomluiperd) as to my well-being. That is very humbling and also embarrassing since I tried to let everyone know what was going on, but forgot about my friends at Dagger Bay.

So let me make amends and explain:

While cycling down to fish at North Jetty one Saturday morning, I had no inkling of what was awaiting me. I was in very good health on every measure (if a bit overweight), and certainly in excellent health for my age. If, at that moment, I chose to make a list of the things that could kill me in the next 36 hours, it would start with a traffic accident and end, some hundreds of entries later, with a Steinway Grand piano falling from the sky. My appendix would not be on it.

Yet, on Sunday night, it burst, and I started dying of peritonitis.

Well, a very capable and brave surgeon saved me, I put my life in her hands and gave her carte blanche. The mandate I signed allowed her to do anything she wanted.

The surgery itself turned out to be minor, I was walking two hours later. I have a 3/4" scar to brag with. The peritonitis was another matter. The accumulation of 71 years of bacteria of all species and stripes had been exploded all over my insides. Some brand new cocktails of antibiotics had to be designed in the labs and administered intravenously. Last Monday was the last day of that regime, and today Dr Bhattacharyya pronounced me "good to go". Eat what you like. No more antibiotics.

Now I have to get my energy and stamina back.
"This particularly rapid unintelligible patter
isn't generally heard.
And if it is, it doesn't matter. "
-- W S Gilbert
mickey2bagz
Quartermaster

Postby mickey2bagz » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:34 am

Wow, that was a close one Piet. Great to have you back in the game, get well soon. Under the circumstances I will work out a way to even the contest score for you. :cheers:
pietopper

Postby pietopper » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:58 pm

mickey2bagz wrote: I will work out a way to even the contest score for you. :cheers:

Thank you for the offer! Just keep it fair ;-) :cheers:
isn't generally heard.
-- W S Gilbert
mickey2bagz
Quartermaster

Postby mickey2bagz » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:53 am

Time's almost up for submitting your July entries guys, it's August on Thursday ... Good Luck! :)
mickey2bagz
Quartermaster

Postby mickey2bagz » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:21 am

A couple more days and September begins, get those entries in guys! :)
C-Max

Postby C-Max » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:08 pm

Damn!

I’m sorry all. My life is in disarray at the moment.
If you have been following my participation in this contest, you may or may not have picked up that my theme is “Sandton by Night” Sandton (also known as “Africa’s Richest Square Mile”) is where I grew up. I remember the first building to be erected there in the middle of vacant grasslands during the mid seventies. I have grown up with it, and during the last 20 odd years, have even been a big part of it’s monumental expansion into Africa’s top commercial hub. It was with great excitement and pride that I wanted to showcase what I feel is some of the world’s most incredible modern architecture and design bustling and shining in one small jewel of a city.
Now suddenly, with hardly any warning, I’ve found myself in a country in the grasp of a massive economic crisis and social upheaval, and can regrettably no longer justify living here. My family have decided to take the same step so many of my countrymen have already taken and begun the process of immigrating, in our case to New Zealand.
Now, sitting on an eight hour stopover at Doha Airport rambling into my iPad (sorry) on my first trip to N.Z. to secure a job, I’m thinking of what I might have forgotten, and BAM! It hit me - I forgot to take a September shot for the calendar contest. And unfortunately I’m likely to miss at least another month before the year end again. I did think of taking other city shots in Auckland / Wellington / or wherever I find myself, but it just won’t be the same (and anyway, I purposely left my camera at home for this trip)
So it is with huge regret that I crash out like this. To be honest I’m surprised I got this far anyway as some of those shots where real last minute stuff which really compromised their quality. I will try shoot more for whichever short stint I find myself back home before the end of the year but can’t promise anything. :-(

It’s been real fun and I’ve enjoyed everyone’s entries immensely, I will be checking them out and voting on them still until the end.

All the Best and Good Luck.
mickey2bagz
Quartermaster

Postby mickey2bagz » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:24 am

C-Max wrote:Damn!

I’m sorry all. My life is in disarray at the moment.
If you have been following my participation in this contest, you may or may not have picked up that my theme is “Sandton by Night” Sandton (also known as “Africa’s Richest Square Mile”) is where I grew up. I remember the first building to be erected there in the middle of vacant grasslands during the mid seventies. I have grown up with it, and during the last 20 odd years, have even been a big part of it’s monumental expansion into Africa’s top commercial hub. It was with great excitement and pride that I wanted to showcase what I feel is some of the world’s most incredible modern architecture and design bustling and shining in one small jewel of a city.
Now suddenly, with hardly any warning, I’ve found myself in a country in the grasp of a massive economic crisis and social upheaval, and can regrettably no longer justify living here. My family have decided to take the same step so many of my countrymen have already taken and begun the process of immigrating, in our case to New Zealand.
Now, sitting on an eight hour stopover at Doha Airport rambling into my iPad (sorry) on my first trip to N.Z. to secure a job, I’m thinking of what I might have forgotten, and BAM! It hit me - I forgot to take a September shot for the calendar contest. And unfortunately I’m likely to miss at least another month before the year end again. I did think of taking other city shots in Auckland / Wellington / or wherever I find myself, but it just won’t be the same (and anyway, I purposely left my camera at home for this trip)
So it is with huge regret that I crash out like this. To be honest I’m surprised I got this far anyway as some of those shots where real last minute stuff which really compromised their quality. I will try shoot more for whichever short stint I find myself back home before the end of the year but can’t promise anything. :-(

It’s been real fun and I’ve enjoyed everyone’s entries immensely, I will be checking them out and voting on them still until the end.

All the Best and Good Luck.

Only just seen this post, I've been really busy this month. Good luck with your move Craig and hope you get the job you need. Under the circumstances it's fine by me if you enter and stray slightly from your theme. If you don't manage to finish the calendar thanks very much for your great entries so far, all quality shots. :)
mickey2bagz
Quartermaster

Postby mickey2bagz » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:48 am

Almost November, get those entries in :)
pietopper

Postby pietopper » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:57 pm

C-Max wrote:Damn!

Good luck, Craig...been there and done that. It ain't easy. Feel free to get in touch for advice, or a shoulder to cry on.
isn't generally heard.
-- W S Gilbert
C-Max

Postby C-Max » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:57 am

pietopper wrote:Good luck, Craig...been there and done that. It ain't easy. Feel free to get in touch for advice, or a shoulder to cry on.

Thanks Piet and Mick.

Here’s a bit of an update - I have acquired a very nice job in Auckland which will start at the beginning of next year. My family is a little nervous but very excited despite all the friends, family and history which will be left behind. I am back in S.A. now tying up many years worth of loose ends but still hope to get into Sandton for a couple of evening shoots to finish off this assignment. It also recently struck me how ironic my choice was in shooting evening images of my hometown for this contest. Perhaps if it is repeated next year, I’ll do something similar in my new hometown but instead with early morning shots? Let’s wait and see.

When the time comes to get on that plane however, it’s going to sting more than I care to imagine, but at least it will be done knowing we won the RWC :)

All the Best

C-Max

Return to “Photography”