Comment thread - 30 Day September Challenge 2018

MrsHjort
Quartermaster

Re: Comment thread - 30 Day September Challenge 2018

Postby MrsHjort » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:41 am

Thank you, for your kind comments, I really appreciate them.

I am doing so, so at the moment. I am finally getting a high resolution chest CT scan in a couple of weeks though (it's both great and a bit scary, yikes!). That means no medicine for me up until then. It's gonna suck, bigtime, but hopefully I'll have enough energy to continue playing hare. Cross your fingers!

Now to give some comments back :D

Defyaugury:
I know I've said it before but I really dig your post-processing style. It's so you and I always enjoy it. The way you treat colors is unique and very attractive. Keep up the great work!

MadamMtnLion:
I am really enjoying your challenge! What an interesting technique to take on and I like how different all your shots look. It looks like you're having a lot of fun experimenting. They're all like wonderful light sculptures! I especially like the one with the added interest of the dolphin in the foreground. Great stuff!

C-Max:
You do airshows so well. The timing and exposure of your shots is impeccable and you always manage to compose them so well too. I imagine it must take practice to keep so many variables in your head at the same time when you shoot action like this. Well done!

pietopper:
I am a person who really loves flowers and I am so enjoying your exotic floral shots. And it's great to find out their names each day too. It's a real pity they would never survive the climate where I live (or the indoor terror of my cats hehe). I like how you work with light to add interest to your shots. You're doing great!

Craig_r:
I love seeing your oh so professional family photos. They really tell a story, all of them, and together they form a great theme with the story of your lives. I am so glad that you decided to join us, and thank you for sharing your stories with us all.

GwenBriar:
You are getting so good at restoring those photos from the past. The color treatment is getting better and better and you manage to get the best out of each and every one of them. Bravo!

LetItBeFun:
I like your style. To the point and great execution across the board. While you might not have been entirely satisfied with today's shot yourself I like the moment you've captured. Two fluffy bids sleeping in :)

essjaynz:
It looks like you had a great trip as well :). I really like your candid shots, they have such a genuine feel to them. You're very good at capturing moments like that. Today's shot (the dancers) is no exception. Wow!
To boldly arrrrr where no pirate has steered before :captain:

| General FAQ | Effects FAQ | Illustration FAQ | Photography FAQ | Writing FAQ | 3D FAQ | Brawl FAQ | BotS FAQ |
LetItBeFun

Postby LetItBeFun » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:57 am

Thanks everybody for caring about me pics.

Some flu took me down the day before yesterday, and this gives me some time to comment on all of you work.

MrsHjort: I'm impressed as how colorful you remember Northern Italy. It's a great area, and I sure hope to get there soon again, thanks to your mouthwatering colors :)

Defyaugury:
It seems you got stuck some. Maybe it's the sticky kind of flowers you dealt with? Let's hope you'll get to your pen soon again …

MadamMtnLion:
I'm following your path, but somehow I can't get your intentions. Do you work for to create clear patterns using different tools one at a time, or is it several tools at once? In any case I'm curious where your efforts will lead you to.

C-Max:
Mr. Aeroplane -- you seem to be doing pretty well at taking pictures of planes of all kinds, and I like your well thought out way to master the craft. However, when you talked about the stunt of two planes coming from different directions, I thought one might try this using a slower shutter (for to record the propeller spin), following the "more beautiful" airplane and leaving the other in even more blur.

pietopper:
I'm sorry I cannot comment on flowers -- I'm totally clueless when it comes to plants, but quite obviously you enjoy them a lot. If you allow for some suggestion: I'd expose at least one stop brighter to give the flowers more lightness.

Craig_r:
Your series of "personal moments" is very touching -- and most often you hit the shot spot on. The glasses became an exception, looks as if you hadn't much time to get the picture done. The wine could need some light, it's fun, right?

GwenBriar:
You're doing better by the day with your color corrections. I wonder how many scans you have still to do?

essjaynz:
What a marvellous vacation. I've always thought about Fiji, Samoa or Vanuatu, but you pictures bring these islands to shiny new light for me. Time to find a client to fly us over for to shoot whatever one can shhot there :) Hey, I'm great at hotels, just in case any of the locals might ask you :) I promise, I'll cast you for assistance and scouting …

Creativity ends with satisfaction

LetItBeFun

Postby LetItBeFun » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:45 am

C-Max: The shot at 1/3000 looks awesome, but then you'r just looking on the small side of the propeller which won't show much motion anyway. If you have the same scene looking 45° on the airplanes, it won't work so well any more. It's a tricky business … 

However, whenever I have some spare time, I try doing something "totally wrong" just to get it out of my head. Sometimes I get into something I never thought about because I was so tied into "my procedure". In this sense, I'd shoot planes at 1/30th (especially the three or more plane stunts) just for to see what comes along.

C-Max

Postby C-Max » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:50 am

However, whenever I have some spare time, I try doing something "totally wrong" just to get it out of my head. Sometimes I get into something I never thought about because I was so tied into "my procedure". In this sense, I'd shoot planes at 1/30th (especially the three or more plane stunts) just for to see what comes along.

1/30th? - that is brave :-) , but I totally see where you're coming from. Tell you what - I'll give it a few tries at the upcoming show this weekend, these guys will definitely be there again, could produce some interesting results.
LetItBeFun

Postby LetItBeFun » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:07 am

They always say one should think oob :) But shooting at 1/30 I wouldn't track any plane, but have the camera stable and centered at their intersection, so all of them will get blurred. Well, I'm curious if this works for you -- all the best.

LetItBeFun

Postby LetItBeFun » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:08 am

@MadamMtnLion: Great variation today -- like the silhouette in front of the light paths.

GwenBriar

Postby GwenBriar » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:06 pm

MrsHjort Interesting to watch the sunrise. Great mood shots.

MadamMtnLion Amazing variation in your creations. Today's looks like a rug. I especially liked the one a few days ago that looks like an eye.

C-Max I'll never get tired of your excellent airplane shots. I also appreciate your commentary, even though I never aspire to do anything like that.

pietopper Beautiful orchids. Especially today. Wow. And the one with its roots hanging down. Is it that how they grow?

LetItBeFun Too bad about the rain, but you used it to good effect. Interesting shot.

essjaynz Your pictures are not showing up here for me, but I wanted to see them because I always like exotic locations, so thanks for the link to your Google+ account.
pietopper

Postby pietopper » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:35 am

GwenBriar wrote:
pietopper Beautiful orchids. Especially today. Wow. And the one with its roots hanging down. Is it that how they grow?

That is one of the orchids in the Vanda family, and they like to have their roots "hanging loose" so to speak. However, all orchids are air plants and do not need soil. In the wild, they grow on trees, (because there are no neat little hanging baskets available). For many years it was thought that they were parasites, but we now know that that draw no sustenance from the tree, but only use it for support.

I am planning to start growing some orchids on the trees in my garden, starting with the hardier species. There is no reason why that should not work.
You write about the moon, but you're wrong about the stars.
GwenBriar

Postby GwenBriar » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:57 pm

pietopper, wow I've never seen that. All the wild orchids here grow in the ground and the ones in offices are always potted. Thanks for the info!
pietopper

Postby pietopper » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:53 am

GwenBriar wrote:pietopper, wow I've never seen that. All the wild orchids here grow in the ground and the ones in offices are always potted. Thanks for the info!

I oversimplified things a little. Well, a lot, really. There are also terrestrial orchids. They are also very pretty, but quite difficult to establish in the tropics, so not as popular here in Florida. Many "air plant" orchids are grown in pots, with tree bark and moss to provide support. This is mostly to raise the humidity around the roots for indoor growing.
You write about the moon, but you're wrong about the stars.

Return to “Photography”