Ouch!

IcyAll

Ouch!

Postby IcyAll » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:44 am

I cannot stand it when people post old, faded, poorly scanned images to Facebook. I often take copies and edit them, fix them, whatever. Sometimes I post them, sometimes I don't. I'm not saying I'm great at it, but I feel I improve them somewhat.

So my cousin who I haven't seen in 40 years at least, posted an old Olin Mills type photograph of her and her sister for Siblings Day - and it was bad. BAAAAAAD. Yellow, faded, off kilter, vignettes from the scanner added to corners. Yuck. I wondered "how much is there?" - I mean, it's small, 72dpi uploaded to FB aleady. But I wondered. I like to play around ALSO to get better at it. So I spent 30 minutes maybe more on it. Ended up choosing some artistic filters because the pixelation was just terrible. Here's before and after.

One cousin loved it. The one who posted it said "Wtf. Are you Ted Turner? I posted this picture in its original form. How did it get jacked up like this?"

Lesson learned. I did reply, but deleted it. Said "I never saw the original" and posted a picture of a gift horse with its mouth open.

I thought about saying "I researched Olin Mills photographers in the '70s and found the guy who took this picture. He's dead, but his kids gave me permission to do this. You didn't have the original, you never had the original. The $60 that guy earned for his whole day's wages to take this picture have long since been spent. You still have your bad scan. Tell your father he needs to spank you."

But I won't. Truth be told, I always feel guilty when I do this unsolicited. But if I wait to be solicited, I'll never get to do it at all! LOL
Attachments
Before and After.jpg
Before and After.jpg (515.35 KiB) Viewed 553 times
I See
Diogenese
Quartermaster

Re: Ouch!

Postby Diogenese » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:51 am

You should have given her red eye :eek:
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. :roll:

| General FAQ | Effects FAQ | Illustration FAQ | Photography FAQ | Writing FAQ | 3D FAQ | Brawl FAQ | BotS FAQ |
GwenBriar

Re: Ouch!

Postby GwenBriar » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:33 pm

IcyAll wrote:I cannot stand it when people post old, faded, poorly scanned images to Facebook. I often take copies and edit them, fix them, whatever. Sometimes I post them, sometimes I don't. I'm not saying I'm great at it, but I feel I improve them somewhat.

I do that too when the mood strikes. I always say "You know me; I couldn't help myself." Nobody has ever complained. (At least where I could see it!) :)

Return to “Effects”