And Now for Something completely different!

Diogenese
Quartermaster

And Now for Something completely different!

Postby Diogenese » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:26 pm

Contest starts tomorrow:

We are going to try something new. The writing contest entry form does allow for pictures, we're going to see how that works. You can't load a picture in directly with drag and drop, you need to load it to your album first, then use the URL between the image tags. I have no idea what the constraints are, that's what we are going to test. Be prepared to experiment with it, I wouldn't wait until the last minute.

Your entry must contain one picture, and a caption for that picture. You must have created the picture yourself through whatever means you desire, including a photo you took, chopped, an illustration, or 3D art, and it doesn't have to be new for this contest. You may use a previous entry, or any other of your creations you want. IE - shoe boxing is allowed for the picture for this contest.

The caption you write for the picture must be new, and is subject to the usual Daggerbay rules. It can be as long or short as you want, up to 250 words (we want a caption, not a story).

If you run into problems, let me know here. We are all going to be novices at this.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. :roll:

| General FAQ | Effects FAQ | Illustration FAQ | Photography FAQ | Writing FAQ | 3D FAQ | Brawl FAQ | BotS FAQ |
Defyaugury
Quartermaster

Re: And Now for Something completely different!

Postby Defyaugury » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:21 am

Long time listener... first time caller... are you looking for a MEME or a picture that incorporates text... or something different?... I'll hang up and listen to your response :)
I have no idea what I'm doing... But it hasn't stopped me yet.
Diogenese
Quartermaster

Postby Diogenese » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:08 am

I'm more trying to get a feel for how pictures work in text entries than anything else. There isn't any way to find out other than try it out. Specifically though, there should be no text in the picture itself, it should be in the caption. The Far Side was a good example of this. You look at the picture then read the text below it. If you want to do a meme, that's fine. Lolcatz isn't because the text is on the picture. And besides, I'd swat you. :lol:
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. :roll:

| General FAQ | Effects FAQ | Illustration FAQ | Photography FAQ | Writing FAQ | 3D FAQ | Brawl FAQ | BotS FAQ |
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:11 am

I'm reminded of the Demotivational posters...?
I bought my friend an elephant for his room. He said, "Thanks." I said, "Don't mention it."
Diogenese
Quartermaster

Postby Diogenese » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:17 pm

The demotivational meme is fine too. Just put the caption below the picture as text, and remember it has to be a picture you made/took/chopped, you can't just take one straight off the Internet and put a caption under it.

Diogenese
Quartermaster

Postby Diogenese » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:34 pm

Further Notes: To place a picture, use the BBCode after placing it in your album. The maximum width without scrolling seems to be around 600 pixels, You probably should keep it under that. Also the text entries seem to wipe out when you try to edit them, so make sure you keep a copy off the site if you need to make changes.

Return to “Writing”