I’m a Ramblin’ Man

MyMindsEye

Re: I’m a Ramblin’ Man

Postby MyMindsEye » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:40 am

Underdog wrote:In Elementary School, one way to flirt was to step on the back of a girl’s sneaker. It didn’t hurt but at least she noticed you. Was it annoying? Was it flattering? Who knows, and in the sixth grade, who thinks? Fast forward to the eighth grade and I finally got up the courage to ask her to the end of the year dance in 1970.

You have to understand, I couldn’t listen to the song ‘Dizzy’ without thinking of her. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sbdtQ99yIUo

So we’re sitting together and my friend walks up behind us and grabs my hand and brings it up around her shoulder. (I wasn’t angry) After years of having my first crush, I have my arm around her and my wrist is actually touching her hair. I remember how it felt to this day, decades later and the feel of it is so vivid I can relate it to you as if it were yesterday;... so... much... hairspray.

Yup!
I had a similar experience in my youth. Except, it wasn't my wrist and......it wasn't her hair..it was lower and......it was toilet paper....lots of it!.
And like you, my vivid recall is excercised every morning as I finish my daily constitution. :redx:
:no: Be chary of giving advice. Wise men don't need it, Fools won't heed it. - MmE
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:57 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bGLHadex0B0

I Found A Virus
(The Sound of Silence)

Into the sky I do ascend
Flight attendant flashed a grin

Baby next to me began weeping
Tears and spittle on my shirt seeping

And the sickness that was planted on that plane

Unknown strain

It seems I found, a virus

Because of schemes that were unknown
Mutant cell greets nasal bone

Soon the proteins search and make their camp
To the lining of my lung they clamp

And my eyes were tagged by the ending of the flight

That ain’t right

It seems I found, a virus

But there’s more, cause that’s not all
Took it home to my grandpa

Who’d have thought my vacay to Peking
Would bring a fear that was crippling

And to think Hong Kong, they simply would not care

They don’t I swear

Care that I found, their virus

Cruel ally you’re now a foe
From whence and to where we go
You’re not so far that we can’t reach you
You’ve possessions we will accrue

Have you heard? Our soldiers go through Hell

They’ve showed they’ll pound, your virus

Commies better learn to pray
Cause we know that we’ve been played

We’ll take time for our own mourning
What you’ve stirred will bring a storming

And in time may the curse of your profits will certainly someday fall

Decadent squall

And yes we found your virus
I bought my friend an elephant for his room. He said, "Thanks." I said, "Don't mention it."
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Sat May 02, 2020 4:18 pm

People aren’t the same when you wear a mask to the grocery store. Less eye contact and no smiles. I thought I wouldn’t be able to be light-hearted and funny anymore but I was wrong.

I’m reminded of how uninhibited and carefree I was when I wore clown makeup as a magician. I’m anonymous and when I realized that, all bets were off.

We never could find masks to buy so I made one for myself. Eventually we found some for my wife, but I liked mine because I designed it and no one else has one like it.

You see, I cut the sleeves off of T-shirts. It’s malleable and conforms to my mouth. I can’t do smiles very good but you can definitely see it when I’m frowning. The Scream is a good look. I wear my ‘Dad To The Bone’ hat down over my forehead.

A bonus is that when I go to the post office, no one recognizes me (Reminder, I live rural so we don’t have mail delivery and everyone has to go pretty much daily) until it’s too late.
I bought my friend an elephant for his room. He said, "Thanks." I said, "Don't mention it."
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Sat May 02, 2020 8:03 pm

Underdog

Postby Underdog » Sun May 03, 2020 1:11 am

I’m typing left thumbed with my wife asleep on my shoulder. She’s been impressing me lately. She’s been so gentle and appreciative, which is not what the doctors told me to expect.

I’m going to want to tell her story someday. She lost her uncle yesterday and her first impulse is to check on her sisters. Her brother in law has cirrhosis of the liver and she’s far more worried for him than for herself.

She’s crossed a new threshold. I’ve been having to teach her about the Corona Virus all day for the past few days. She can’t watch unfamiliar TV shows, but the news is 24 hour Covid 19. Because of the video graphics, she thinks it’s going to show up in the sky as a red haze and creep under the door.

We watch Fox a LOT. Her empathy is incredible. She has totally forgiven Juan Williams and even enjoys his talking a little bit. She still can’t stand Pelosi, Hillary and China, so that’s good.

She’s hung onto maybe 5 grudges but that is understandable because these are some cruel people, with maybe one immature jerk. Otherwise, she is defaulting to pleasurable memories.

It’s making me rethink my own hurts in life. Sure it would be easier if the bad memories were torn away; but to watch the process first hand over a period of years is definitely educational. I don’t think it’s random that the negative thoughts are the ones leaving her mind first.

Oh yeah, Comey. I hope I don’t forget what Comey did.

Things I’m against; things that I believe hurt people; I can hate them, right?

Those four that hurt my wife; she forgave them right up to a year and a half ago. Then they mocked us and harmed us financially. We agreed there would be no more contact. I don’t think that’s unreasonable or selfish.

Over the decades we agreed that we would know if they were truly repentant. Even now, I still allow hope for them. This is how I know I retain empathy. No one could keep me from apologizing if it were to occur to me I had harmed somebody. They could get in touch with me if they chose to.

Repentance is one of the most powerful choices with emotions I can imagine.

If Comey were to want to apologize to me, I would hear him out.
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Sat May 09, 2020 5:51 pm

We don’t fully share our memories with our children. Even though we were both there for the experiences, our kids can’t pull them into their brains the way we can.

I can explain all day what it meant to me that my son would habitually climb all over me while I sat on the couch, and then settle down and take my hands and look for any wounds I may have sustained during my work that day. He’d show the proper sympathy instinctually knowing that the injuries were for his benefit, at least so I would think. But my son can’t relate. The older they get, the less they remember.

I think it’s evolutionarily necessary for them to be able to tear away from dependence on us, that the emotions fade so they don’t become too crippled to leave.

But ironies if all revenges, they get to see for themselves with their own kids.
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Thu May 14, 2020 10:10 pm

I was humbled by a bird, a swallow to be specific.
Every year they build on our back porch in the exact same spot. Well I got tired of cleaning the bird waste off the concrete below it so I decided to knock down the nest after every attempt.

I’d check for eggs and then I’d clear it away. They finally stopped trying so I made plans to bring the hose and clean up the mud on the wall.

One of the birds was perched where they had been building but it didn’t tip me off. They moved their nest several feet over and built on the porch. Ok, I get it, life makes a way and some such stuff. The inside was nicely lined, so I don’t have the heart to tear it down. I’ll check later to see if there are eggs, but I’m surrendering.
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Wed May 20, 2020 1:15 am

Opinions are like bellybuttons, everybody has one... except Adam, but he probably had an opinion too. Maybe he should have expressed it and we wouldn’t be in this mess.

It’s hard not to express an opinion. As the U.S. becomes more polarized, opinions are going to continue to fly. My problem is along the lines of opinions don’t matter.

It’s entirely how you treat people. I’m conservative and one of my best friends is liberal; he’s not even a citizen. We brush across subjects that would cause conflict with other souls, but they don’t phase us. Yesterday, we combined our resources and repaired the bicycle of a young man with brain issues. I can say I don’t know that I’ve met a conservative with a bigger heart than my friend. I’ll double down and say that I know too many conservatives that I have nothing but disdain for.

I’ve come to find out that the issues have very little to do with disagreements. What takes over is incitement. If you watch closely, the media exploits two aggressive, activist positions. If solutions were achieved, each side would lose their profits.

It’s the rank and file that pay.

Granted, I have a bone of contention with the progressives. As I investigate the issues, I’ve discovered that the liberal media does not include necessary content. Important information just doesn’t hit the airwaves.

The conservative media couldn’t, and doesn’t even try to hide the opposition’s point of view. I hold to this opinion strongly. I’ve watched them all, Maddow, Morning Joe, Al Sharpton, and contributors whose names I couldn’t begin to list. One thing they all have in common is that they leave valuable context out.

Please try to convince me that the world is unaware of Trump. It’s also aware of Hillary. Those were two lightening bolts searching to collide. Each side only has extremely flawed people to vote for in order to advance their values.

I’m estranged from a niece that filled her Facebook with such a hatred but couldn’t answer the simplest of questions.

I understand the motives. She’s convinced there is an evil that needs to be reckoned with and there are plenty of news stories and sound bites to fuel the flames.

For an opinion to be legitimate however, it needs to stand the test of having light shown on it. Do you have a sufficient number of facts? Can you present both sides lucidly? Can you do so without anger?

But examine the public arguments with discretion. Notice that if they make absolute claims, this is suspicious. No one has a monopoly on science and facts and if they claim things are brought up as a distraction, whose to say that’s not a distraction?

And nobody can read minds. Motives are off the table as far as I’m concerned. Focus on actions.

I have two sons, one liberal and the other conservative. I raised them with one guiding value... live your life beyond reproach. Don’t let someone you’re in conflict with, have room to accuse.

My liberal son went to the door of someone whom he had barely clipped their car, even though there were no witnesses. When he fell into the temptation of that self-righteous liberal anger, it took maybe two sentences from me for him to see it.

My conservative son does stupid things like help a homeless man get situated.

I long for a third party that actually deserves to be voted in, and a media that hungers for truth. We never thought that a bat in China could bring the world to its knees, so who knows.
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:31 pm

I finally figured it out as I was watching a YouTube channel of two young black men showing their reactions to hearing oldies music for the first time. Kudos to them for their attempt to bring the races together.

It’s not bad that they were totally ignorant of the music that shaped my youth, but it revealed a nuance that is lost during all of our current conflicts.

You don’t know me.

And...

I have had no way of knowing you.

Everyone grows up in a bubble. My white privilege experience as a child was sleeping on a pillow that bridged from my bed to the window sill. This was so I could breathe the coolest,freshest air I could get access to on those hot south Texas nights.

Then we got an oscillating fan. I was envious of my brother’s white privilege when the fan would circulate the air around his bed. When we got a water cooled window fan, we were in heaven even though the moisture made the windows and doors stick.

We didn’t have health insurance growing up, but I didn’t know different. I didn’t know about risk just as I didn’t know about the plight of black people. My parents didn’t sit me down and give me the “racism talk”. Instead, they lived an example of love and acceptance. I never heard a derogatory racial slur in my home and in turn, I have never delivered a racial slur in my life. In fact, I have never been in a fist fight.

One of my first jobs was to work the counter of a skating rink. On Sunday nights, for whatever reason, the skaters were almost exclusively black. I’m talking shoulder to shoulder, dancing with great skill and rhythm, black.

You would think this would be the time to tell me what’s up. Instead, we laughed, joked and I fixed their skates or loaned them the tools when they wanted to make adjustments themselves. They did not commiserate on the injustice of lynchings or Jim Crow law. I never felt awkward or out of place. This is ages 16 and 17, many many Sunday nights.

My wife and I had an interracial couple as friends. They told us of the mean looks they’d get in store parking lots. I knew they were telling the truth. I knew there were racists, but they told the stories with such good humor, I never saw it as festering hurts that would eventually spill over into burning down stores.

I’ve never cringed when a person of another race served me or treated me medically.

My white privilege continued as I couldn’t afford college and joined the manual labor force. I raised two sons, (without insurance) often working six and seven day weeks; working sick and sometimes injured (without workmen’s comp).

I’m wondering how the activists and protesters have come to judge me without knowing me. What scale did they use? Why was I not informed? Why do I get no voice or chance to ask any questions?

I know for certain that no one has come to me to challenge me on my white privilege; but I want to know how much compassion the protesters have for families that are experiencing cerebral palsy, or schizophrenia. Brain injuries and autism tend to overwhelm families. How much time should these families be expected to channel to black causes? Why? Because of their skin color?

When you say “white”, you include every white person. If I owe you an apology, come to me for it directly and bring your evidence.

Neither the black activists nor the leaders or members of their organizations invited me to break bread and answer the questions that I didn’t know I had. They didn’t come to my church and they gave me no warning. I would have heard them out. Instead, they went to a political party that had no incentive for there to be peace between the races. In fact, quite the opposite; they are using the situation to acquire money and power.

In my opinion, the only people we know for sure by their words and actions that they are hate filled and unrighteously judgmental, are the activists themselves.

If we judge people according to personal responsibility, it is individual policemen that have their behaviors to be held accountable, not some white guy who has spent the last three years caring for his wife who has dementia, and hasn’t raised his voice to her, or anyone for years.

Again, it’s not skin color, it’s ideology, values and empathy.

In conclusion, I will leave you with the words of Charlemagne Tha God. Unless you agree with him, there is no point in discussion. Pay particular attention at the 2:10 minute point.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=odF8qxHlJsQ
GwenBriar

Postby GwenBriar » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:34 pm

I agree with everything you said Underdog, but I think you missed the point about white privilege. I am not racist either. Most people aren't. But it takes only one. White privilege means we don't have to worry if the jerk blocking the aisle, or the customer service person, or the policeman stopping us is that one.

Return to “Writing”