I’m a Ramblin’ Man

Underdog

Re: I’m a Ramblin’ Man

Postby Underdog » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:37 pm

Because of the quarantine,The Dish Network gave us some free channels recently, most notably was Fox News and Showtime. So once in a while I scan Showtime for movies.

I got to see Green Book and The Best of Enemies. They weren’t too heavy handed so they were pretty good.

Growing up in the sixties in San Antonio, I have absolutely no memories of racism. I don’t remember news stories about what was going on in southern states and have no recollections of anything locally. It’s like San Antonio was exempt or my parents sheltered me to the nth degree.

Even in the seventies in high school, I have no memories of my friends calling any of the black people at school any derogatory names; all three of them.

Yes, the predominant races were white and Hispanic, but again, I never witnessed overt disrespect or racism. I feel like a Bigfoot unicorn swimming around in Loch Ness. I don’t know if you can believe this, but my friends and I never confronted any other races because of their race, and I can’t remember any conflicts. I’m not sure if this is a brag or not, but I’ve never been in a fist fight.

I guess we figured out the best way to reconcile any of our differences, we just dated each other.
I bought my friend an elephant for his room. He said, "Thanks." I said, "Don't mention it."
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:45 am

I think Joel Osteen nailed it concerning this virus crisis when he said that we need to live from a place of peace and not from a place of fear.

I don’t know why we haven’t figured that out before because it would seem logic would dictate that fear was a worse place to live from than a place of peace and that peace would be a better place to live from than fear.

But to recap: Live from a place of peace and not fear.

That’ll be twenty bucks.
I bought my friend an elephant for his room. He said, "Thanks." I said, "Don't mention it."
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:04 am

So I just watched a movie on Netflix about an older couple who get in a wreck and have flashbacks about when they met.

It’s a spiritual movie so you expect some kind of miracle. Sure enough they take the husband off the ventilator and you see him breathe. But no, it was just oxygen still in his lungs and he dies... the end.

It reminded me of when my father-in-law passed. His family was all around him when he stopped breathing. His oldest daughter loudly cried out in grief and he was still conscious enough for it it to scare him back to life and he started breathing again. So the vigil went on for a while longer.

I didn’t necessarily think it was funny, but rather kind of remarkable. I guess it’s why it’s important to speak forcefully to people who have been in serious accidents and call out their name even if they appear unconscious.

I was behind a driver who was T-boned on a highway and I was the first person at her window. I was totally unprepared. You never think it will happen to you. I was lucky the next person to arrive was a nurse. She went to the back door to approach from behind and didn’t open the driver door so as to not allow the driver to shift her body position unnecessarily. So I guess she was the first person that I have ever witnessed die. It was disconcerting.

So much time goes by that you are convinced that life is mundane. Life is usually boring and then peppered with alarming events. I guess this virus thing is a reminder that we shouldn’t think like that. We should be more like the police or firemen in our preparedness. Even though we aren’t immediately aware of our surroundings, we should trust that something is going on, or is on the horizon, just the same.
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:04 pm

The My Pillow guy is now making face masks. Wouldn’t that smother people?
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:41 pm

Things we need to exist:

Food/Water
Shelter
Electric/Energy
Health Care
Guns
Transportation of needed materials

We don’t need:

Fashionable Clothes
Entertainment
Law enforcement
Art
Government

Maybe we could have castles and build walls that have acres of land surrounding them and move in essential residents that have value.

People outside the wall would probably be poor and less fortunate.

Then the people who ran the castles could form alliances and gain power and protection this way.

Just something to think about as we move on from our present circumstances.
Diogenese
Quartermaster

Postby Diogenese » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:18 pm

We already tried the Feudal age, rumor has it that it sucked and besides my handwriting is too poor for manuscript illumination. Historians 1,000 years down the road would be going "What the hell was this guy writing with, his feet?"

And I suspect government happens any time more than seven humans get together. I think it is hardwired into the species to have a leader, and if you get enough humans together to have two leaders you've started a government since they have to computerize compromise on their goals (friggin spill chick ore). Libertarianism works fine when you have one person in a log cabin on a mountainside, it works less well in a city of 5,000,000 or so. Why we need 5,000,000 or so people living in one place to start with I'll leave to someone else, but I think it falls under the heading of "be fruitful and multiply". You think we might have been told to ease off somewhere along the line but whatever...

As far as not needing art or entertainment, while you're scratching the ground with sticks hoping something edible will grow, I'm going to be the guy painting pictures on the cave walls with berry juice.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. :roll:

| General FAQ | Effects FAQ | Illustration FAQ | Photography FAQ | Writing FAQ | 3D FAQ | Brawl FAQ | BotS FAQ |
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:38 pm

When I used to drive a lot, I would do this mental exercise. I would come up with three letter words, consonant, vowel, consonant; where the two consonants remained the same but you could use all the vowels to make common words:

Bag
Beg
Big
Bog
Bug

You can just run through the alphabet while you try to go to sleep. I’m just sayin’
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:30 am

When a celebrity says, “We’re all in this together”, what they really mean is, “We’re all experiencing very different consequences from the Covid-19 virus at the same time. Don’t try calling me.”
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:39 pm

In Elementary School, one way to flirt was to step on the back of a girl’s sneaker. It didn’t hurt but at least she noticed you. Was it annoying? Was it flattering? Who knows, and in the sixth grade, who thinks? Fast forward to the eighth grade and I finally got up the courage to ask her to the end of the year dance in 1970.

You have to understand, I couldn’t listen to the song ‘Dizzy’ without thinking of her. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sbdtQ99yIUo

So we’re sitting together and my friend walks up behind us and grabs my hand and brings it up around her shoulder. (I wasn’t angry) After years of having my first crush, I have my arm around her and my wrist is actually touching her hair. I remember how it felt to this day, decades later and the feel of it is so vivid I can relate it to you as if it were yesterday;... so... much... hairspray.
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:21 am

I think I’ve figured out why I think I’m intelligent. It’s because I have self doubt. People in the public eye think that mistakes make you look stupid. Covering up mistakes makes you look stupid.

Of course it doesn’t help if there are those snapping at your heels trying to make you look weak. It tempting to overcompensate.

I speak of the mis-speak. When you talk for a living, eventually you’re going to say there are 56 states in the USA or tell a crowd of Iowans how great it is to be in Ohio.

Would it be a career ender to say, “I misspoke, we were talking about disinfectants and my mind locked in on antibiotics and conflated the two. Of course I didn’t think drinking bleach or injecting disinfectant is a good idea. No more than using a lawn mower on hedges would be very smart; even though it would be faster and cheaper if you didn’t happen to own clippers.”

Return to “Writing”