I’m a Ramblin’ Man

Underdog

Re: I’m a Ramblin’ Man

Postby Underdog » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:32 am

This thread could just as easily been a dementia awareness thread but that would have been too heavy, but I think this story is special enough to relate.

Several days ago my wife had been on a jag where she couldn’t keep track of where her blue jeans were. She rearranges her drawers and closet so often, it’s too much for her memory.

Even though I’d show them to her, it would be a matter of minutes before she’d become concerned and need to know where they were. These are bouts of genuine anxiety, possessions are an important part of life, especially for someone with dementia.

It snowballed until it was very difficult for me to maintain my own composure. She wouldn’t recognize her jeans as I showed them to her and then I made the mistake of saying we could buy more. Then she obsessed about buying new ones.

There’s one thing that has always been true about my wife. She cares about me like nobody’s business. I took a page from something that occurred months ago. I had vertigo and she went from needing care to caregiver.

I didn’t ask for much, but she immediately shed her own neediness and gave me the break I needed. I can’t put that on her often.

I gave her my serious face and told her that sometimes I worry about finances, and that we shouldn’t spend when we don’t need to. It took a couple of sentences and then she was reasonable about it. She hasn’t brought her jeans up since.

It’s one of the reasons I think character is everything. This is who she was throughout her life. I want to write about her experiences one day. I just have to do it on the sly right now.
I bought my friend an elephant for his room. He said, "Thanks." I said, "Don't mention it."
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:27 pm

Public Service Announcement from Underdog:

What to do when your store runs out of toilet paper...
1. Go to the store early in the day.
2. Call the store manager and reserve a package.
3. Call a friend or relative and see if they have extra.
4. Eat less.

The More You Know
I bought my friend an elephant for his room. He said, "Thanks." I said, "Don't mention it."
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:47 pm

Dr. Phil is already on TV giving advice on how to spend time together with your spouse. The quarantine has been going on for what, three days and for some people it’s like The Shining?

I spend 24/7 with my wife and I can safely say that I probably haven’t snapped at her 5 times in three years.

Rookies.
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:34 am

There are so many situations that are common experiences that we all can relate to that we shouldn’t have to describe every time we talk about them. They deserve a word to shorten the communication.

Like when you exude an aura of confidence because the lighting is particularly good and makes your skin look fantastic or your makeup is applied perfectly. You could call it conficasting, because you are casting out such self confidence.

I’m looking for a word for when you wake up in the morning with extreme pain in parts of your body that there is no rhyme or reason for.

Or that frustration you experience when television is dominated by sports or OJ Simpson news or 24/7 Corona virus to the exclusion of quality entertainment.
Diogenese
Quartermaster

Postby Diogenese » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:25 am

Went to the Grocery store today. Sometimes you just have to wonder about these strange beings called humans. OK, so Toilet Paper and Hand Sanitizer were gone, I expected that. It's stupid but I expected it. What I didn't expect is that all the perishables were gone, but the shelf stable stuff was well stocked, you know, the stuff that's still good after a month. There were like six bottles of milk in the store. Really? So um, did you think the expiration date was suspended? And there were no banana's. Why banana's I don't know, they don't last more than a week at best. Apparently people are going to make a bunch of banana bread while they are shut in because that's about all it's going to be good for.

Lunch meat was gone, the freezer section was pretty empty particularly breakfast sandwiches, but canned soup looked like it hadn't been touched. Same with canned vegetables, rice, pasta. *scratches head*

The fresh meat department on the other hand was pretty empty.

Anyway, I'm good for two weeks. And 8 rolls of toilet paper gets me through two months.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. :roll:

| General FAQ | Effects FAQ | Illustration FAQ | Photography FAQ | Writing FAQ | 3D FAQ | Brawl FAQ | BotS FAQ |
GwenBriar

Postby GwenBriar » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:39 pm

I had exactly the opposite experience yesterday. All the canned goods were gone, all the flour and all the sugar, but there were plenty of cake mixes, bread, baked goods, deli items, fresh meat, etc. The store had put a limit on eggs and milk, so there was plenty of that left too. I got all the produce I wanted and the ice cream case looked untouched. I wish I had known about the flour a couple of weeks ago though. I buy it about once a year, but I'm out now. A clerk told me I had to get there within 5 minutes of opening to get toilet paper.

I bet the check out clerk that she wouldn't ask me if I found everything OK. She said she has quit doing that!
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:52 pm

I wonder what the winners of Wheel of Fortune are feeling like with their tickets to St. Croix sitting in their dresser.
GwenBriar

Postby GwenBriar » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:06 pm

I heard they are shutting down production of TV shows and movies. Then what will we do? I guess there is still YouTube.

Those trip tickets will still be honored later, once the people have gone back to work.
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:41 pm

When did Cabo become an option for Spring Break? When did flying anywhere become common for teenagers?

When I was young, we found an apartment complex that had a pool or two and hoped the management was too timid to kick us out.
MyMindsEye

Postby MyMindsEye » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:23 am

A little levity..........
A freind sent this text and I thought Id share it with ya'll:

Heard a Dr. on TV saying in this time of Coronavirus, staying at home, we should focus on inner peace.
To achieve this, we should always finish things we start and we all could use more calm in our lives.
I looked through my house to find things i'd started and hadn't finished, so.....
I finished off a bottle of Merlot, a bottle of Chardonnay, a bodle of Baileys, a butle of wum, tha mainder of Valiumun srciptuns, an a box a chocletz.
Yu haf no idr how feckin fablus I feel rite now. Sned this to all who need inner piss. An telum u luvum. And two hash yer wands, stafe day avrybobby!!!
:)

Stay safe and hang tuff ya'll... :cheers:
:no: Be chary of giving advice. Wise men don't need it, Fools won't heed it. - MmE

Return to “Writing”