I’m a Ramblin’ Man

Underdog

Re: I’m a Ramblin’ Man

Postby Underdog » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:07 pm

MyMindsEye wrote:I think Ive discovered the malady affecting the Mob-Squad.
After watching the commercials, I believe they are suffering from a Prevagen Deficiency.
They are unable to think clearly and user testimonies indicate a marked improvement in this function.
Perhaps we should replace the fluoride in the water with Prevagen. (before its too late!)

Over the years my wife and I would speculate on the why’s of behavior, especially mean spirited behaviors from family. We would bounce back and forth as to whether or not they were even aware of it.

We gave them opportunity to resolve conflicts but they were unwilling to sit with arbitrators which told me that they knew what they were doing.

The mob is as anonymous as the internet, shine a light on individuals and they scatter or you'll get unintelligible response. I’m for as much public debate as possible, unfortunately colleges shut that down. Look at what’s happening at The New York Times.

Now the speculation is whether or not it’s ignorance, spiritual corruption, human depravity, or just plain evil. If top government officials can say that vandalism, threatening death and threatening to burn down someone’s house is peaceful protest, I’m drawing my own conclusion.
I bought my friend an elephant for his room. He said, "Thanks." I said, "Don't mention it."
MyMindsEye

Postby MyMindsEye » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:11 pm

Ahhhmen!
:no: Be chary of giving advice. Wise men don't need it, Fools won't heed it. - MmE
MyMindsEye

Postby MyMindsEye » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:29 pm

Shared with me by my brother. Reminiscent of Andy Rooney.
Thought Id pass it along
ENJOY

Lost Words from our childhood
Mergatroyd! Do you remember that word? Would you believe the spell-checker did not recognize the word Mergatroyd? Heavens to Mergatroyd!
The other day a not so elderly (I say 75) lady said something to her son about driving a Jalopy; and he looked at her quizzically and said,
"What the heck is a Jalopy?" He had never heard of the word jalopy! She knew she was old ... But not that old. Well, I hope you are Hunky Doryafter you read this and chuckle.
About a month ago, I illuminated some old expressions that have become obsolete because of the inexorable march of technology. These phrases included: Don't touch that dial, Carbon copy, You sound like a broken record, and, Hung out to dry.
Back in the olden days we ]had a lot of moxie . We'd put on our best bib and tucker, to ]straighten up and fly right. Heavens to Betsy! Gee whillikers! Jumping Jehoshaphat! Holy Moley! Holy Toledo! We were in like Flynn and living the life of Riley and even a regular guy couldn't accuse us of being a knucklehead, or a nincompoop . Not for all the tea in China!
Back in the olden days, life used to be swell, but when's the last time anything was swell? Swell has gone the way of beehives, pageboys and the D.A.; of spats, knickers, fedoras, poodle skirts, saddle shoes, and pedal pushers. Oh, my aching back! Kilroy was here, but he isn't anymore.
We wake up from what surely has been just a short nap, and before we can say, "Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle!" Or, "This is a fine kettle of fish!" We discover that the words we grew up with, the words that seemed omnipresent, as oxygen, have vanished with scarcely a notice from our tongues and our pens and our keyboards. Poof, go the words of our youth, the words we've left behind. We blink, and they're gone. Where have all those great phrases gone? Long gone: Pshaw, The milkman did it. Hey! It's your nickel. Don't forget to pull the chain. Knee high to a grasshopper. Well, Fiddlesticks! Going like sixty. I'll see you in the funny papers. Don't take any wooden nickels. Wake up and smell the roses.
It turns out there are more of these lost words and expressions than Carter has liver pills. This can be disturbing stuff! (Carter's Little Liver Pills are gone too!)
We of a certain age have been blessed to live in changeable times. For a child each new word is like a shiny toy, a toy that has no age. We at the other end of the chronological arc have the advantage of remembering there are words that once did not exist and there were words that once strutted their hour upon the earthly stage and now are heard no more, except in our collective memory.
It's one of the greatest advantages of aging! Leaves us to wonder where Superman will find a phone booth... See ya later, alligator! Okidoki. You'll notice they left out "Monkey Business"!!!
WE ARE THE CHILDREN OF THE FABULOUS 30's, 40's, 50's & 60'S ...NO ONE WILL EVER HAVE THAT OPPORTUNITY AGAIN ...WE WERE GIVEN ONE OF OUR MOST PRECIOUS GIFTS: LIVING IN THE PEACEFUL AND COMFORTABLE TIMES, CREATED FOR US BY THE "GREATEST GENERATION! :cheers:
I loved this. Can you believe all the words we used to get our point across.
Enjoying our journey,
:no: Be chary of giving advice. Wise men don't need it, Fools won't heed it. - MmE
GwenBriar

Postby GwenBriar » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:19 pm

I think it's Murgatroyd with a U. Though this spell check doesn't recognize that either. :)
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:15 am

GwenBriar wrote:I think it's Murgatroyd with a U. Though this spell check doesn't recognize that either. :)

It’s a good thing they didn’t refer to “Fair to midland”, because then we would have had to have pointed out that that was a misuse of the phrase “Fair to middling”, which was distorted in the 1860’s.

But actually that’s the Snagglepuss spelling. It’s Morgateroyde, or literally Moor Gate Royde.
Or a clearing in the forest on the way to the moor.

Man, Google can make you look smart.
I bought my friend an elephant for his room. He said, "Thanks." I said, "Don't mention it."
GwenBriar

Postby GwenBriar » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:50 pm

I just read an article about Medicare refusing to pay for an Alzheimer's test because it showed no benefits. The idea was that having an early diagnosis would allow caregivers to plan ahead and therefore cut down on ER visits and other medical costs. Trials showed it didn't work that way. Imagine that. As Underdog said a while back - If you know one person with dementia, you know one person with dementia. How can you plan ahead when every day is different? Dementia "progresses" so slowly that it is easy to believe it will never get that bad. There is always hope that everything will be fine.

MBD's birthday is next week. His children are planning the annual pizza party. MBD will probably refuse to get out of the car until we threaten, en masse, to lock him in and leave him. Of course, I don't know that. Just because that is what he has done the last few years doesn't mean he will still do it next week. Yesterday he did almost nothing but sit with his head on the table and moan. The day before he ate most of the day, and kept sitting in the car so he would be ready when I wanted to go to an interesting restaurant. The day before that he sat at the table and fiddled with everything within reach. Today he is roaming the house closing what should be open, and opening what I want closed, and turning on all the lights. How can I plan for tomorrow, much less next week?

One of his children is urging me to put him in a "home" because it is safer (i.e. more supervised). That is something I could plan to do, but it doesn't feel right at this point. How do I know when, or if, it will ever feel right? Maybe something else will happen before then. From my point of view he no longer has any quality of life left, which is the metric he used to measure things by. But obviously his point of view is different because he is still happy most of the time and shows no signs of giving up. My plan has to be take one day at a time - and childproof the house. :) No other plan is possible.
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:30 pm

GwenBriar wrote:I just read an article about Medicare refusing to pay for an Alzheimer's test because it showed no benefits. The idea was that having an early diagnosis would allow caregivers to plan ahead and therefore cut down on ER visits and other medical costs. Trials showed it didn't work....

This is an excellent post. With my wife sitting on the couch with me, I don’t know how long I’ll be able to type.

My main belief in what is needed is an advocate that can act as an intermediary. This would save money in the medical system and reduce stress for the patients and families because so much is done behind closed doors.

Gotta go, I’ll be back.
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:44 am

This is going to be a series of posts relating to the immediately above posts, so you’re just going to have to keep up.

Actually, these thoughts are going in a different direction than I had anticipated. It took a while for Gwen’s words to take root, you see, Donna and I feel like we are going through this dementia thing pretty much alone.

Recently Donna had to get a new neurologist. He ordered an EEG which altered her awareness of her condition. Since having to answer the quizzes and go through the process of meeting new nurses and such, she knows more deeply something is wrong with her head. We can’t bring ourselves to use the word “brain”.

She has taken to asking, “Why does God hate me?” Lately at four in the morning.

She is not as far along as Gwen’s husband but it is something that is inevitable. There is no cure or treatment.

I’ve turned from husband to caregiver. It sounds harsh but there is no other way to describe it. My vows haven’t changed, but our relationship has.

For whatever reason, my wife has gone from only being able to watch the TV programs NCIS and The Vampire Diaries; to This Is Us; to presently, Fox News and The People’s Court. I watch, with my wife talking non-stop beside me. When I try to watch something that might interest me, she just can’t handle seeing actors she can’t recognize or stories she is unable to follow.

Add to our circumstances, parents with children that have cerebral palsy or autism or other of many impairments. Why do black people feel the most put upon? Much less millionaire super healthy athletes, or as I call them, crybabies.

Mentally impaired people would trade even if they did have to keep their hands on the steering wheel when pulled over by the police.

You know who has more people caring for them than the retarded? Black men who want to pass counterfeit money, strong arm store owners, fight police officers and take their weapons, play cat and mouse with over zealous neighborhood watch guys. They fight for criminals to be able to safely mug and steal from citizens.

I have to watch as the media and filthy rich celebrities “care” from their ivory towers. I want to know how much Steve Carrell earned from systematic racism. Those questions don’t get asked. I want to ask if Alan Alda is proud how M.A.S.H. taught us that nurses were for providing sex to the doctors, while the doctors did the real work.

I’m thinking about turning our apartment complex into a Mentally Impaired Lives Matter Autonomous Zone. Although I’d like a catchier acronym. Except no destruction; show people what peaceful protest truly looks like. My apartment has only one entrance. It could work.

Point is, people don’t know what their neighbors and family members go through. Our lives shrink as people excuse themselves from our situations.

I think that there is a need for education, but not destruction. I don’t think we need to tear down America to get the point across. I just think people need to know they are neglecting a valuable segment of society and their caregivers, consciously or unconsciously.

List of demands forthcoming.

Return to “Writing”