I’m a Ramblin’ Man

Underdog

I’m a Ramblin’ Man

Postby Underdog » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:45 am

Most of my thoughts are long and rambling and I’ve noticed I exceed the tweet threshold.

Most of you know my situation and that I don’t really have much of an opportunity to converse.

So I thought I’d play here in this thread with more details to my thoughts in order that I might exercise my cognitive processes.

Most of what I’ll write about will have deeper roots than what I reveal, but I don’t want to enter the realm of politics or religion, just observations that I believe a good writer may use in order to inspire further thought and scrutiny from the reader.

But I will make fun of dysfunctional relationships.
I bought my friend an elephant for his room. He said, "Thanks." I said, "Don't mention it."
Underdog

Re: I’m a Ramblin’ Man

Postby Underdog » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:47 am

I’m guessing that overthinking things is a modern day issue. In the past, there was a lot more acceptance of the status quo. Now, examining things and taking them apart until they are dead is like a competition.

I heard a joke by Stephen Wright, “I was sad that I had no shoes but then I met a man with no feet, so I asked him if he had any shoes he wasn’t using.”

I wondered why he would have shoes if he didn’t have feet, then I thought maybe he lost his feet recently and hadn’t gotten around to disposing of his shoes, then I thought maybe he was anticipating prosthetics and his new feet would be the same size, then I thought that maybe people without feet are very sensitive about it when you bring it up and we shouldn’t make fun.

When you are in an era, you think you are woke, but how would you know? Everybody thinks they are woke.
I bought my friend an elephant for his room. He said, "Thanks." I said, "Don't mention it."
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:50 am

I had an incident years ago before iPhones. My brother called me on our landlines during a conflict we were having. I tried to diligently explain my points and gain understanding of any grievances he may have had with me but was only frustrated at my inability to get through.

This went on for a half hour. I know this because after 30 minutes I heard this beeeep and a series of clicks. Yep, he was secretly recording me on an answering machine with a half hour limit, hoping I would indict myself or lose my temper.

I asked, “Are you recording me?” He replied, “Would you have a problem with that?”

He thought I’d be nervous about things I might have said but nothing could have been further from the truth. I knew my side of the conversation was beyond reproach and that he was the one skating logic and reason.

I told him I wanted a copy and he could play it to whomever he chose, he had my permission. He had the power when it was secret and I took it away when the recording became known.

He knew I wasn’t going to gossip about it. I might share it with a couple of people that are involved, or post it out on the internet for the world to see; but I’m not going to poison relationships as was done to me, and he knew that.

This also gave me the confidence and faith that I was in the right because there was no way that tape was going to see the light of day.

But he took the power back because he owned the tape and could choose to erase it at his leisure.

Which is another example of one of the saddest realizations that I’ve had: the one who cares the least, has the most power.

This same brother shared a different form of this philosophy in later years. He said that the greatest power in relationships is the control you have over how much you care about what other people think of you.

It made me sad.
Diogenese
Quartermaster

Postby Diogenese » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:02 pm

"This same brother shared a different form of this philosophy in later years. He said that the greatest power in relationships is the control you have over how much you care about what other people think of you."

Well that's sort of two-sided. The problem with it, is taken anywhere near to extreme, is that nobody will care to have any kind of relationship with you

You can act like a complete moron in a restaurant for example and there is nothing anybody that works there can do about you except to take turns spitting in your food in the kitchen before they bring it out, because the less you care about what other people think, the less they are going to care about you.

The flip side of that of course, is being fearful of saying or doing anything because of what other people might think..

So as in most things in life, the actual greatest power is knowing how to use any technique correctly, and not to go too far in any extreme.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. :roll:

| General FAQ | Effects FAQ | Illustration FAQ | Photography FAQ | Writing FAQ | 3D FAQ | Brawl FAQ | BotS FAQ |
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:25 am

I went to our town’s library yesterday to watch a magic show. It was Spring Break so there were plenty of kids. He starts his act and my immediate impression is how much better job I could do. My mistake. Once I realized he hadn’t geared his patter for 62 year old men, I just sat back and enjoyed it.

He was also a ventriloquist, so I could never have done that, and the interaction he had with the kids was just fantastic. He had this running gag with his dog puppet and a squeaky toy that was very clever and the responses from the kids were like they had rehearsed with him.

I’ve done magic acts for older audiences, wide age ranges, youth groups and teens with cancer so my humor was totally different. But again, these past years have made me more humble and I get there quicker. I think I would be terrified to try to entertain ages one to six, especially after watching him.

However, when one of his dog’s tricks was playing dead, I would have had him start snoring.
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:58 am

Diogenese wrote:
So as in most things in life, the actual greatest power is knowing how to use any technique correctly, and not to go too far in any extreme.

Here’s how you know if a person is that extreme and negative in character, imho: If they behave differently according to whom they are with. (Of course I’m not talking about social or age politeness or cultural sensitivities, I’m talking about morality. I think the limits of blue humor would be an interesting discussion, as would types of fiction. Guilty pleasures like folks who might watch reality television. Ha, that could be a real rabbit trail.)

To me, that shows calculation. If they are with somebody that they care about or need their approval, they clean up their act.

This is a test for hypocrisy.

Further, I believe you can judge people according to what they themselves say; the standard that comes out of their own mouths.

You can give them a chance to change their mind of course, but that is an example of repentance, and they shouldn’t feel bad about that.
Diogenese
Quartermaster

Postby Diogenese » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:25 pm

That's age old dating advice ;) If you are out with somebody, watch how they treat the waiter/waitress because when they stop trying to impress you, that's how they are going to treat you :cheers:

Blue humor... eh, never been much of a fan of it. Swear words either, they get entirely overused. George Carlin's act would have been no less funny or thought provoking minus all the swear words - and have been quite a bit shorter as a bonus. To this day I don't know how he managed to be the conductor for Thomas the Tank Engine without uttering a single swear word.

On the other hand, when it isn't being over-used, it can be hilarious. It has to be unexpected, it can't be used as filler.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. :roll:

| General FAQ | Effects FAQ | Illustration FAQ | Photography FAQ | Writing FAQ | 3D FAQ | Brawl FAQ | BotS FAQ |
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:08 pm

Diogenese wrote:Blue humor... eh...

I’m of the opinion that all children shows are gateways to profanity and blue humor. Thomas the Train had “Bust my buffers”.

They just quit trying to hide it by the time they got to Shrek.

The comedian I wish I knew how his career would have gone though, was Phil Hartman. His death shocked me more than any A lister. Great character actor and voice genius.

George Carlin’s best animated voice was the stoner on Cars. All his others seemed out of place to the cartoon. (I know on Thomas he played that 6 inch high guy.)
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:37 am

It’s easier to be on defense than offense. When you have a grievance, you have to accuse someone of something, already an unpleasant task. It doesn’t matter if it’s true, you have to prove it. This means evidence and maybe witnesses if you base some of it on their experience. Could be trustworthy hearsay. Does that witness want to be outed? As an accusation, hearsay becomes gossip.

I see why people sit on their past hurts. But I also know how scars don’t heal.

If somebody reveals a childhood hurt, often the offender will claim, “Hey, we were kids.” I would never do that. You’re not a kid now, so why not make it right? Haven’t you matured enough to understand it by now?

I watched an adult complain about being ditched while riding bikes with those he considered friends. He received the glib, “We were kids” (suck it up) observation and he was stuck. Does he say, “I would never have done that to you”? Or, as an adult, does he not recognize that we are immature as children. So he accepted the non-apology.

To me it said the offender never matured.
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:48 pm

If you see just one moment of a couple’s relationship, you can’t tell if they are drifting apart or moving together. It’s like if you were to take a picture of the couple in two boats in a lake. They would be still and you wouldn’t be able to tell which direction each was moving; unless you shot the picture with a slow shutter speed and there was the indication of motion. Or if the boats had a distinct front and back to them and you could extrapolate from their shapes which way they were going. But boats are capable of moving backwards so that might not matter. I guess that’s another example of analogies breaking down pretty quick.

Return to “Writing”