Contest ideas

Underdog

Re: Contest ideas

Postby Underdog » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:14 pm

Butterfly Effect, something small causes something big?
I bought my friend an elephant for his room. He said, "Thanks." I said, "Don't mention it."
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:37 pm

"The Wild Card"... a group of subjects, most with their motives understood, have an unknown player among them.
I bought my friend an elephant for his room. He said, "Thanks." I said, "Don't mention it."
HeyDoofus

Postby HeyDoofus » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:46 pm

While not a theme idea, one thing that was done at W1K many years ago were really short duration writing contests. Typically, there would be 30 minutes or an hour from posting of the contest theme until writing had to stop (writer's honesty here) and then the close of submissions another hour or so later. At least one of my very best (OK, that's not saying much, I know) was done in a 30 minute contest - it just ran onto the paper from my head!

I know there are problems with time zones and work and stuff, but these were a great challenge, and produced some excellent efforts.

Yaddya think?
Nothing exceeds like excess
Diogenese
Quartermaster

Postby Diogenese » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:00 pm

I was a fan of those short duration contests too, I'd like to see some here, but it will probably have to wait until we are sure all the bugs are ironed out of the system, and us having a decent number of people participating so it's not a "one person smash hit contest"
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. :roll:

| General FAQ | Effects FAQ | Illustration FAQ | Photography FAQ | Writing FAQ | 3D FAQ | Brawl FAQ | BotS FAQ |
HeyDoofus

Postby HeyDoofus » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:22 pm

More thoughts

Restriction on form (haiku, sonnet, etc)
Restrictions on the letters used. For example , can't use words containing the letter "e", or something similar
Restriction on length - tell a story in 10 words, or 100 words
Steampunk / alternate history / speculative fiction
A well-known human event told from the point of view of an animal, or an inanimate object that saw it unfold (JFK assassination from the POV of the gun!)
Re-write a famous tragedy (true or fictional) as a comedy (Macbeth, the Japanese earthquake, etc)
Write in a specified style - Damon Runyan was mentioned in another thread (I loved reading Damon Runyan!)
Invent a new myth or legend

I could go on for hours!
Nothing exceeds like excess
MsgtBob

Postby MsgtBob » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:00 pm

HeyDoofus wrote:Write in a specified style - Damon Runyan was mentioned in another thread (I loved reading Damon Runyan!)

Who is Damon Runyan? Just one reason I don't like this idea (only those that have read all the other author's works would be really capable of voting on something like this).

I hope you aren't thinking about writing a short story without the use of the letter "e." If you are, all I can say is good luck! :) :run:
Aargh!
Diogenese
Quartermaster

Postby Diogenese » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:10 pm

Oh I don't know, It isn't all that hard to do if you think about it. It will not remain child's play though. It props on how long it is. :lol:
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. :roll:

| General FAQ | Effects FAQ | Illustration FAQ | Photography FAQ | Writing FAQ | 3D FAQ | Brawl FAQ | BotS FAQ |
MsgtBob

Postby MsgtBob » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:14 pm

diogenese19348 wrote:Oh I don't know, It isn't all that hard to do if you think about it. It will not remain child's play though. It props on how long it is. :lol:

You didn't even finish that statement without using an e (remain). :) :run:
Aargh!
Diogenese
Quartermaster

Postby Diogenese » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:19 pm

Typo! I swear! Aw crap I suppose I am stuck with a 5. :freakout:

dOntEAtpOOp

Postby dOntEAtpOOp » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:57 pm

diogenese19348 wrote:Oh I don't know, It isn't all that hard to do if you think about it. It will not remain child's play though. It props on how long it is. :lol:

I agr. It is not vry hard to do, writing a story without using th lttr "" . I'm not vn sur I undrstand th challng of this suggstion.
Last edited by dOntEAtpOOp on Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Return to “Writing”