Open Critique - Anyone have an image that they would like open critique for?

kimbomac
Quartermaster

Open Critique - Anyone have an image that they would like open critique for?

Postby kimbomac » Mon May 30, 2016 12:06 am

This thread is all about getting feedback on an image from others in the community where you are just not sure about things yourself.

- You can't make up your mind what you like/don't like about it...

- You thought it was great, but it tanked in a contest...

- Your mum says it's marvellous, but your friends don't look at it for more than a few seconds...

So, what about your image has not been successful? If you want to know, then this is the place to ask.

How does it work?:
- Post a picture that you would like some critique on. Explain as much or as little about it as you'd like, perhaps including what you are confused about, what you were intending, etc.
- members of the community will give CONSTRUCTIVE and INFORMATIVE critique on your image to explain how the image impacts their thinking
- as the posting artist, you need to remember that you have to have a thick skin and take on board what people say, no matter how much you may disagree - they are only offering their opinions.

Rules of the game:
    - You may not post images that have been entered into contests if the contest is either open for submission or voting. Obviously images from closed contests will get the best benefit here.
    - You may not later enter any images that have been critiqued openly into any future contests. If you would like critique on an image you want to enter later, then please make use of the private critique thread to request such advice.
    - To the critics, any critique that becomes nasty, personal or abusive will be instantly removed, as per site guidelines and the critic will not be welcome to post further critique on the same image.
    - As the posting artist, you may not engage in an argument or opposing point of view - just thank everyone for their time once feedback for your image is no longer forthcoming.

So, let's see what you've got and we'll all chip in and try and help!
Don't sweat the small stuffs...
:fcheers:

| General FAQ | Effects FAQ | Illustration FAQ | Photography FAQ | Writing FAQ |Brawl FAQ |
kimbomac
Quartermaster

Re: Open Critique - Anyone have an image that they would like open critique for?

Postby kimbomac » Mon May 30, 2016 12:12 am

OK, I'll break the ice and go first.
OMG!

This picture did very well on another site that we know and love, and has also done well at my camera club and been accepted into our state-wide camera club print competition. While I don't think it was better than many of the other entries on show in the portrait contest I entered it into, the final score of 6.358 indicates that quite a few people scored it quite low.

What could I do to improve this, if chasing a better score?

| General FAQ | Effects FAQ | Illustration FAQ | Photography FAQ | Writing FAQ |Brawl FAQ |
C-Max

Re: Open Critique - Anyone have an image that they would like open critique for?

Postby C-Max » Mon May 30, 2016 11:46 am

I think this is a fantastic shot and, apart from the comical expression, what strikes me immediately is the interaction It has with the viewer, it's as if he is as engaged by us as what we are by him - an exceptionally clever way to connect with the viewer.
While his eye is looking straight at us, I do feel a little dissapointed that it's not smack-bang in the center of the magnifying glass though as I feel that would have hit the nail on the head (so to speak) in terms of composition and overall impact, but do recognize that it might have brought other sacrifices an complications along with it also.
Overall a stunning shot for both strangers and family to enjoy on different levels.
MrsHjort

Postby MrsHjort » Mon May 30, 2016 12:14 pm

I'm not that bothered with the fact that the eye isn't in the center. I like that we can see his eyebrow, which adds to his general look of surprise and wonderment. It's a good choice in my opinion and the eye area is, per that definition, centered enough for me. However, I do find his gaping moth a bit too dominant in this shot. It is a great expression, for sure, and highly effective in conveying his reaction, but my eye is drawn there more strongly than towards the eye itself. So, instead of the "aaaah expression" I would think I would have liked an "ooooh" better, as it would make the eye the star of the shot.
To boldly arrrrr where no pirate has steered before :captain:
mickey2bagz
Quartermaster

Postby mickey2bagz » Mon May 30, 2016 12:40 pm

I think possibly the score and placing of this had something to do with the contest brief. The contest was a Shoebox style which meant that it would attract even more than the already high percentage of shoebox pics we seem to get in most contests. Because of this the turnout was good and many of the recycled shots were winners or high scorers from old Worth1000 contests, some excellent old shots were in there and competition steep, so the score and position wasn't actually all that bad.
One thing that I did notice was the better scoring shots were more conventional portraits whereas this is a little different. I always support and enjoy creative work and this would appeal to me rather than a 'straight' portrait. However, although the magnifying glass idea may have been very 'cutting edge' when first used it is seen more often these days so that might have a bearing on why it did well before but not now. The heavy border around the image also looks a little dated now compared to the 'cleaner' more minimal modern approach to presentation, so this too may have had a bearing on the placement.
All of the above addresses the question of placement. Now to the image itself. It's a very striking shot and the impact value is high. Craig mentioned not liking the off-centre placement of the eye but I quite like the fact that it includes the eyebrow. The depth-of -field effect works well to make the eye stand out even better. My only criticism is the blown out area in the bottom left of the iris. Maybe exposure bracketing would have allowed for this to be corrected in post processing? Everything else about it is spot on, the focus, colour and composition are all very nice.
The final placement and score may or may not reflect my observations, but overall this is an excellent image.
kimbomac
Quartermaster

Postby kimbomac » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:45 am

Thanks so much for the time you guys took to post feedback. Much appreciate it.

I shall have to give it all some thought. Especially to my choice of border, that I am the first to admit I have been using for a long time and which I am somewhat partial to. Will have to rethink that! ;-)

So, does anyone have an image of their own they would like to have critiqued?

mickey2bagz
Quartermaster

Postby mickey2bagz » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:25 am

Ok guys, here's one you can have a go at. It was a newly processed shot which has not been seen anywhere else so I have no old score to compare it with. Clearly it isn't posed and is very much a street shot. It was called Caribbean Carnival and was entered into 'Action on the Street' and came 17/28 with a score of 5.529. May I please beg the benefit of your collective wisdom?

ImageCarnival by mick jackson, on Flickr
Gipper11

Postby Gipper11 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:31 am

I don't know if you originally under exposed the photograph and then tried to bring out the details later, but there is a lot of noise throughout the image especially in the shadow areas and some of the highlights are over exposed. As far as the subject matter goes I like it.
All left handed people are in their right minds.
Moukha

Postby Moukha » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:16 am

Hi!

Yes noise, poor definition quality (looks like a picture on a newsprint)! I think that's a shame because it's a great shot!

:captain:
"Knowledge is nothing without imagination." :huh:
C-Max

Postby C-Max » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:16 pm

Apart from the noise issues already pointed out, there are a few others that I feel contribute to it's downfall.
The potential energy from the scene is conspicuous only by it's absence. It has all the ingredients to be a really lively shot - dancing girls, flamboyant costumes, crowds in the street etc. but unfortunately none of that delivers. The dancing girl looks overly blasé and very far from dancing, the crowd look largly uninterested while they go about their business adding nothing to the scene other than cluttering the background and the ordinary viewpoint from eye level makes me feel like one of them.
I feel if any energy was to be harvested from the scene, a lower, more dynamic angle might've worked better, perhaps a slower speed to capture some movement or even a higher aperure in order to get some depth and blur out some of those ugly, distracting crowd members. Some of this may still be possible in post processing and to deal with the noise , maybe a conversion to black and white might help a little?

Sorry to sound like Simon Cowell, but apart from the girl's smile, I couldn't find anything positive in the shot.

Return to “Photography”