Comment thread - 30 Day September Challenge 2019

GwenBriar

Re: Comment thread - 30 Day September Challenge 2019

Postby GwenBriar » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:09 pm

I agree about the chocolate! But raisins are sweet and chewy enough to satisfy until I can get to the store and get more chocolate chips. I don't like raisins IN anything, or anything with raisins in it. Just eat them by themselves, and they taste way better than the store bought ones.
Buffmufin

Postby Buffmufin » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:39 am

GwenBriar - I am really impressed by that thread!! I thought it was ribbon spools at first. I've never seen anything like that!!!

IcyAll - Red rose(s) are a very fitting tribute to 9/11. Also, in looking at your book photo..... I'm more intrigued by your glasses! Love them!!
IcyAll

Postby IcyAll » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:37 pm

Buffmufin wrote:IcyAll - Red rose(s) are a very fitting tribute to 9/11. Also, in looking at your book photo..... I'm more intrigued by your glasses! Love them!!

Dollar store! Lots of colors available. For $1 I can match my clothing colors!
I See
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:36 pm

I was in a funk when this began and I have to say I've been invigorated and inspired as I have been enjoying all of your participation. It has transferred to my everyday life and my wife and I have been much more active of late. I attribute it partly to my involvement here. Thank you all!

Essjaynz- I love your series and I love your model in your portfolio. He has the look.

MrsHjort- Your photos are so striking! And such a short compliment is actually quite the compliment. It makes you pay attention to what I said.

Underdog- Beautiful series, I think I'm seeing the one I like best and then you post a new one and I like THAT one best! (hint hint hint)

Whalelight- Your subjects are so spot on and captured so well, except for maybe the crochets. You ought to find a fitting background so as it doesn't distract from those works of art. I criticize because I care.

secretatlantis- I have a hard time not using upper case for your name. Plus I had to add your last name to my dictionary. Great decision to have this narrow depth of field and your subjects are so flattered by it. Great choices for those subjects too. And the butterfly... wow!

Buffmuffin- I'm THERE! You brought me with you!

GwenBriar- Your photographs always make me smile. I think you are one of the most creative forces on this site and I mean that. I notice your enthusiasm and devotion. And, my uncle used to roam junkyards in order to find antique prescription bottles.

KrysGeo- You have a real eye for beauty and you compose wonderfully! I could have used a sunset in front of the squirrel however.

NinaPastina- You have such an eclectic series, it's always a joy to be surprised by you each day. Color, mood, style... SURPRISE!

MadamMtnLion- I almost used an "e" after Madam, caught it in time. I think what I see that you bring to the table here is emotion. Every collage tells a story and I wish I had the time to document what I see. Thank you for sharing all of this with us.

IcyAll- Your subjects and composition are so good! I vacillate as to whether or not the zoomed car should be more upright, I'm not qualified to know for sure. Kinda the same with the candle, but I see you've put a lot of attention on your composition. Your thread picture is a hoot. Kudos on how you've displayed your past posts.
I bought my friend an elephant for his room. He said, "Thanks." I said, "Don't mention it."
IcyAll

Postby IcyAll » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:55 pm

Thanks for the comments, Underdog. I get the "new favorite" idea completely. Each one is a precious child, right?

The car was stationary. I don't do zoom photography, so I faked it in Photoshop. The candle wasn't straight on because of the backdrop, which was not much higher than the flame and I was too lazy to reposition it. I moved around the set-up until the thing seemed right and took one or ten shots. :)
I See
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:54 pm

IcyAll wrote:Thanks for the comments, Underdog. I get the "new favorite" idea completely. Each one is a precious child, right?

The car was stationary. I don't do zoom photography, so I faked it in Photoshop. The candle wasn't straight on because of the backdrop, which was not much higher than the flame and I was too lazy to reposition it. I moved around the set-up until the thing seemed right and took one or ten shots. :)

Thanks for that. I'm just curious about people's choices.
I bought my friend an elephant for his room. He said, "Thanks." I said, "Don't mention it."
Buffmufin

Postby Buffmufin » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:28 am

GwenBriar - No, I didn't see your dinosaur plant yesterday. But it's really neat! I love the texture that is so nicely enhanced by the backlighting, and the point of view, from below, makes it really stand out! Nice work.. As for your liquid ingredients for the bread....what kind of bread did you make? Very intriguing!!! Makes me really want some!!

IcyAll - Love the ocean wave break. Super composition and the nice color palette brings out lots of depth and movement to the image!

I'm trying to leave comments for the rest of you on your direct links. :) Great work, all!!
MrsHjort

Postby MrsHjort » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:49 am

Flickr won't let me comment, so I'll post here instead. (And sorry for taking this long to comment!)

essjaynz
Day 2: Very geometric, nice texture. Mr remarked it looked "dwarvern" he didn't even know you are from New Zealand haha. But maybe you New Zealanders are tired to being compared with those movies? Nice shot nonetheless :)

Day 3: Cool! I's like you're being sucked into the book case! Not far from the truth when you think about it. I often loose myself in books. Lately it has been the Harry Potter series. The shots with the tree are cools as well, but I like the symbolisk in the bookcase shot the best.

Day 4: I would never have guessed they were so small! I'm amazed you managed to get them so sharp and motion blur free. They remind me of dates a bit. Well captured!

Day 5: Great abstract. I have a hard time envisioning what it must look like zoomed out. The textures and colors sure are interesting. The alternative shot is so cute and funny! I bet the kitty loved the new comb haha.

Day 6: Those look tasty! The lighting in the second one is better than the first one, but I like the subject in the first one better. Then again I really like how you arranged the subjects in the second one... hmmm... hard to pick a favorite :)

Day 7: it almost looked like you pealed half an orange, carved it out and lit it. Cool! The second candle is very beautiful! We used to have a lot of them before we got cats. Nowadays we seldom use candles at all. But then again, maybe that's why you have it in a glass vase?

Day 8: That middle shot is my favorite out of this day's shots. I love the low angle, the light and the DoF. The black background works great too! One of my favorites!

Day 9: That children's book sure is colorful. A really pretty subject. A pity it got chewed, but it made an interesting picture. The detail of all those paper fibers are amazing.

Day 10: Thank must be one pretty scarf. I love the vivid colors. The pink really pops against that lovely blue and you've really managed to capture its soft texture.

Day 11: I cant decide if I like it in color or in B&W, It's beautiful either way. How pretty they all are, and I like how you've arranged them, almost like a fan.

Day 12: How zoomed in is this? It almost looks like you've gone down to a cellular level! Amazing detail, great composition and a beautiful abstract.

Day 13: That looks and sounds tasty! We don't have Starbucks in the city where I live, but there are coffee shops everywhere - we Swedes so like our strong coffee. I haven't had coffee in a long time though. Sadly, it doesn't agree with me anymore.

Day 14: What a pretty cat. So soft and fuzzy. You can tell there is wisdom in those eyes. His name is Flickr? Cool! Ours are Morris, Freya, Sisko and Loki :). The ange in the shot with the toy is great! It's like it's out of a lego movie, and the bokeh is perfect! My favorite of yours so far.

Day 15: Wow! Amazing detail yet again. I like the composition, though maybe I would have cloned away those tine fibers and dark particles if I were you. That's just a minor thing though :)
To boldly arrrrr where no pirate has steered before :captain:
MrsHjort

Postby MrsHjort » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:16 am

Underdog
Day 2: Nice textures on that car. The color of the rust goes well with it's original paintwork. Though it makes for a great subjetc, I always finf it a bit sad to see an old classic worn down.

Day 3: Again, I love this shot, how can I not, the Star Trek Nerd that I am hehe. But really, the #D effect that the zoom blu has created is very sci-fi and very cool! It reminds me of how a cinema screen looks when you take your 3D glasses off :)

Day 4: Pretty little berries, it does not matter if they fit the scientific term or not. I like the narrow DoF and the soft bokeh.

Day 5: Ha! That reminds me of the dagger I posed with in the very first contest we had here on Dagger Bay, though your's is more ornate. I like how you've laid it out. Nice lighting too

Day 6: One of my favorites! I love the competition and the narrow fokus works so well. Pretty colors, good choice to have the turquoise up to the left. very cleverly done!

Day 7: Very pretty! I like that you've but a dye into the oil, it really makes stuff pop. I do agree with carol about the box being distracting though. Its beautiful, but a bit too big and dark for the shot.

Day 8: The candy is another one of my favorites. Very nicely arranged, and the message is very cute! The fabric around it is beautiful, and it works so well with the subject too.

Day 9: Beautiful. The bible looks so great in that lighting to help its golden sides shine. Nice and warm, yet elegant and modest at the same time. Very tasteful!

Day 10: Nice fokus, and great job bringing out the texture of those bright balls. Normally I'm not inclined to like shots that are this "busy", but I think it works well here. Well done :)

Day 11: A real trip through history, I've come into contact with all of these. Sometimes I wonder if the younger generations will recognize what things like this were for. And they might never know the importance of having a handy pencil near by when dealing with cassettes ;)

Day 12: Oh! how beautiful! The lighting, the choice of background and the way the flower looks like it's swaying in the shot. So gorgeous! This is my favorite of yours :)

Day 13: Nicely captured. A friend of mine did this once on her hen party. She never got this high up though. I love how confident he looks as his friend cheers him on in the foreground!

Day 14: Uhoh! He looks like he is about to nab at something, better hold on tight to that camera :). Great shot. Nice detail.
MrsHjort

Postby MrsHjort » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:29 am

Buffmufin
Day 2: I love the lighting in this shot, it looks like a wonderful morning and it light up her face beautifully. That tree must have been huge! I've never seen anything like it. I like how you've composed it with all those lines in attractive places.

Day 3: Are those what the tree in yesterday's shot look like zoomed out? They really are different from the trees where I live :). What a beautiful scene.

Day 4: He is adorable. How lucky you were he wanted to check you out and come closer. I live how the lighting enhances the detail in his skin. It's a stunning photo :).

Day 5: They look like a friendly bunch. What a lovely group portrait, they're beautiful in those red clothes and bright necklaces. It really tells a story. It loos so natural and relaxed too, like you snapped it passing by.

Day 6: For pros like them, I bet it work really well. Doubt I'd even be able to get it to smoke hehe. Nice shot of them in action.

Day 7: Lovely textures in the background and the lighting rally makes things pop! Another one of those shots that look totally natural, like a still from BBC earth.

Day 8: OMG! This is so beautiful! Again the lighting works so well and I like how you've framed it with those strands hanging dorn from the top. One of my favorites.

Day 9: What a gorgeous landscape. It must have been really special to be there. The magnitude of the place... Lovely how the sunlight creates lines in the shot.

Day 10: Aaaw, how cute. I love the motion in this shot, and how their tails loop in the same way newt to each other :)

Day 11: Hippos! I don't think I'd known if you hadn't pointed it out. They looked like rocks to me at first. Very cool! And yet another gorgeous landscape.

Day 12: Beautiful how the almost monotone color palette works together here. Another one of my favorites. Beautifully composed.

Day 13: Nice view and you chose a great viewpoint to shoot it from with that cactus to the right in the foreground adding interest ti the scene. Well done :)

Day 14: Wow! What a portrait! Those big paws remind me a bit of our youngest can when he was little. He was tiny, but his paws were huge. it looked quite funny hehe. I love the look on the lin's face. You've captured him at just the right moment.

Return to “Photography”