Comment thread - 30 Day September Challenge 2019

Underdog

Re: Comment thread - 30 Day September Challenge 2019

Postby Underdog » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:41 pm

My world is turned upside down. Turns out, if the internet is to be believed, berry is actually a botanical term, not a common English one. It turns out that blackberries, mulberries, and raspberries are not berries at all, but bananas, pumpkins, avocados and cucumbers are.
What I posted is a drupe.
There are drupes, berries, pomes, pepos and hesperidium.
A drupe is a fruit with a hard stone inside (or a pit). It's not the seed, the seed is inside that. Kernels are in there somewhere too so don't ask me what corn is.
Edit: I just checked it out and corn is a fruit. :huh:
I need to quit fact checking myself.

Berries-2.jpg
Berries-2.jpg (134.36 KiB) Viewed 403 times
I bought my friend an elephant for his room. He said, "Thanks." I said, "Don't mention it."
NinaPastina

Postby NinaPastina » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:25 pm

Underdog--THANK YOU for that information. I had no idea...
MadamMtnLion

Postby MadamMtnLion » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:23 pm

IcyAll and GwenBriar, I can't find your links. I finally figured a way I could scan and still use my main computer (I now have two setting side by side)... I caught up on everyone else... but Where O Where are you???
GwenBriar

Postby GwenBriar » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:57 pm

I have no "link." Pictures posted here only.
Underdog

Postby Underdog » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:11 pm

MadamMtnLion wrote:IcyAll and GwenBriar, I can't find your links. I finally figured a way I could scan and still use my main computer (I now have two setting side by side)... I caught up on everyone else... but Where O Where are you???

GwenBriar wrote:I have no "link." Pictures posted here only.

I've figured out that I won't be able to see SmugMug after 2 weeks because they charge on that site.

For BotS, one of the competitors simply started a thread for their entries alone. Perhaps you could do that.
I bought my friend an elephant for his room. He said, "Thanks." I said, "Don't mention it."
MadamMtnLion

Postby MadamMtnLion » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:34 pm

Oh IcyAll I am so sad that I didn't get to your first photos in time. But I absolutely love the cherries and that back lighting, such that you can even see the seed in one! They are beautiful. BTW who got the missing one on the right, you or the birds? And great job on the zoom blur on that "fast" vehicle... :) LOL it had to "be moving" to get that blur, eh? ..... and it does not cost anything to create and post on flickr... lots of the folks in this challenge are doing that. If you have any questions about it, maybe I can help?
KrysGeo

Postby KrysGeo » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:48 pm

I am so enjoying everyone's photos, and for the ones following the CaliGirl list, I like seeing the different takes on the daily item.
I appreciate everyone's comments on my photos and for your patience while I figure out what I'm doing and how this website works. I'm now posting my daily photos to flickr vs. instagram. A bit late in getting started with comments, but here goes and hopefully I'll be able to keep up daily.

essjaynz - That crane was very interesting, very tall indeed! And the rusty manhole cover, very clever! I really like the blurred books, very colorful and a very cool idea for blur.
Day 5 - Your pot is quite interesting, not sure exactly what part it is, maybe the side somehow, really have me thinking!

MrsHjort - The church was beautiful but I especially love the view from above looking down on the street. The buildings are so beautiful and the chairs and people give perspective to it all. The bells are wonderful, I love old buildings and such, I really like how you have the unprocessed photo next to the processed and with the bell photo you can really see how beautiful it really is!
Day 5 - Oh, your street scene! What colors in the buildings and just love the beautifully colored ribbons/banners draped across the open space! And the chairs all lined up just waiting for the customers, really beautiful.

Underdog - How could anyone fly such a (what looked like) huge kite?! Perfect for the day 1 topic. The rusty car was a fav, it's sad to see them in bag shape but they have such character like that too. Your berries, or nuts, or what ever are very interesting to say the least! I love the small cluster and your focus is so sharp.
Day 5 - Your cheese slicer, I've never seen one of this caliber.... Love composition! It's laid out so lovely and such a perfect white background, just superb!

Whalelight - Love all the strawberries and how they are lined up! Wonderful composition in my opinion.
Day 5 - I love your kettle! It has such character and the lighting is so well done, the whole photo is just lovely.

secretatlantis - Your apple and ducky photos where very nice, really nicely taken. I really like your day 4 and how the focus is on the hands closest to the viewer. Very clever still life and beautiful photo!
Day 5 - Great photo! I really like how the out of focus flowers are at different stages of blur and the green background is very soothing to me. Really very nice.

Buffmufin - What a photo excursion you had! One day maybe. I really like day 3 so far the best, those trees area just something else!
Day 5 - Love the young elephant, very crisp and detailed photo, he could easily walk right out of my monitor!

GwenBriar - Interesting find on the rust day, looks like it's been there a long time. Your berries are quite interesting, never seen anything like that before. I like your DOF. And the blur photo was wonderful!
Day 5 - The veggie steamer is very cool, I would never think of one as very photogenic but you did a nice job with it and a creative idea for the topic, plus I like the colors that it's reflecting.

NinaPastina - We've been using our chainsaws this week gathering firewood for this winter. Maybe this guy with his machine could give us a hand?! Wonderful photo for berries, looks like I could just grab a handful from my computer screen!
Day 5 - How clever! I would have a problem with the light reflections but you captured the handles very well, I really like it!

MadamMtnLion - How fun to look back at your old photos! I like the "shack" with the new highrise building in the back ground, and the bike is neat too! Love all of them so far!
Day 5 - The Confucian Temple has such beautiful colors and shapes! And in your Mu Shan collage I like the child photo the best, makes me wonder what he is looking back at.

IcyAll - The cherries are wonderful, I especially like how the pit is visible on the one fruit! And the blurred car is cool too! Interesting how just the outer parts of the car are blurred.
Last edited by KrysGeo on Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NinaPastina

Postby NinaPastina » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:43 am

I'm curious...where is everybody living during this contest? It's so fun to wake up and see new posts, so I'm guessing we're from all over the world.

I'll start....Minnetonka Minnesota--just outside Minneapolis. The land of 10,000 lakes!

Nina
MrsHjort

Postby MrsHjort » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:48 am

NinaPastina wrote:I'm curious...where is everybody living during this contest?

I live in Huskvarna, Sweden. The birthplace of the Husquarna brand. I even worked in the factory for a while, but that was long ago (I work with law now). :cheers:
To boldly arrrrr where no pirate has steered before :captain:
IcyAll

Postby IcyAll » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:11 pm

MadamMtnLion wrote:Oh IcyAll I am so sad that I didn't get to your first photos in time. But I absolutely love the cherries and that back lighting, such that you can even see the seed in one! They are beautiful. BTW who got the missing one on the right, you or the birds? And great job on the zoom blur on that "fast" vehicle... :) LOL it had to "be moving" to get that blur, eh? ..... and it does not cost anything to create and post on flickr... lots of the folks in this challenge are doing that. If you have any questions about it, maybe I can help?

oh, shoot, didn't know that people didn't see first few days or I wouldn't have removed them. I just plop them into my post, it asked "place inline" and I do that and they appear. I HOPE they appear for everyone, seems they do if you saw my berry pic. Uh, the crows get most of the cherries, as they are very high branches and I have no ladder. I created this DIY thingy from an empty 2-liter soda bottle duct-taped to an extender so we could get a bunch of cherries, but it's hard work because you still have to reach high and pull hard and it gets muscles-aching. Those are pie cherries -- completely sour until you add a ton of sugar to prepare the for pie. Made one pie/crumble, learned I need to pit the cherries with more accuracy, so will need to dethaw the ziplock of cherries in the freezer so I can check them for missing pits before I bake the next dessert. (FYI yes, I had a soggy bottom. Bite me, Paul Hollywood, it still tastes fine!)

SM Cherry Cobbler Pie 3.jpg
SM Cherry Cobbler Pie 3.jpg (504.3 KiB) Viewed 366 times
Attachments
SM Cherry Cobbler Pie 1.jpg
SM Cherry Cobbler Pie 1.jpg (681.73 KiB) Viewed 366 times
Last edited by IcyAll on Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
I See

Return to “Photography”