Comment thread - 30 Day September Challenge 2018

MadamMtnLion

Re: Comment thread - 30 Day September Challenge 2018

Postby MadamMtnLion » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:50 am

Thank you Craig. I am just trying to learn this lightblading. They have people who sell kits, and blades, but I am not so sure how I will do with it, so I have just gone round and collected up bits that I thought might work. I found some old tail lights and put them on a jack in the box drink cup, and put some stripes on it with electrical tape. I am just making do, but the results have been somewhat satisfying. Glad to see you back around, it has been a long time since our 365 :)
MadamMtnLion

Postby MadamMtnLion » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:12 am

MrsHjort - I tried to start commenting on your blog, but unfortunately when I hit post it disappeared. You are making realistic adjustments to your photos, and the results should help you pleasantly and artistically remember your journey last year.
Defyaugury - I tried clicking everywhere to see if your current photo was linked to somewhere that I could review the past week, and could not find any. I do look at them daily, and have very much enjoyed the artistic touch you have applied daily.
Pietopper - again I tried to find a link to review your flowers from the week, and could not find one. But it is always refreshing to see the worlds natural beauty... which flowers definitely are. Thanks for sharing.
GwenBriar - you are doing a fantastic job restoring the original look from slides. I have tried some scanning, and my results were not particularly acceptable, and a huge undertaking at that! Such a feat your are undertaking, good for you.
EssjayNZ- since a link is not available, I have to say today's processing is a nice improvement over the original. I have been looking daily, it must be exciting to have a revisit coming up soon.
pietopper

Postby pietopper » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:07 am

LetItBeFun: That is the female dove. With doves and pigeons (and elephants, and maybe others) if you get the impression of the head that it is small, delicate, dainty, then it is the female. 100% accurate.
"This particularly rapid unintelligible patter
isn't generally heard.
And if it is, it doesn't matter. "
-- W S Gilbert
GwenBriar

Postby GwenBriar » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:57 pm

Defyaugury, I really love those morning glories. MadamMtnLion, I also am loving yours more and more. I was going to say how beautiful day 8 was, then day 9, though completely different, is also wonderful. I think they would make a great contest theme. Especially the ones that look like skeletons. "Make a realistic picture out of this..."
LetItBeFun

Postby LetItBeFun » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:42 pm

pietopper wrote:LetItBeFun: That is the female dove.

Wow, thanks a lot. I googled this and the articles said there's no clear distinction between genders. Now I have to get a shot from the couple :)

Creativity ends with satisfaction

LetItBeFun

Postby LetItBeFun » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:14 pm

C-Max wrote:Hi All. So good to see ….

… your prop spinning shots. I think your math is about right, but those two on the ground aren't spinning idle. Maybe they're doing the pre-takeoff check, whatever. Your prop shots are really great, should make for great entries at the motion blur contest. Looking forward to seeing more shots like these, and thanks for showing.

GwenBriar

Postby GwenBriar » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:25 pm

C-Max, Your people shots are wonderful. You caught that parachutist just right.

pietopper, Are those the flowers that have sticky bases? I remember something like that from my childhood. They were very annoying. Really enjoying all the flowers.

LetItBeFun, Very beautiful shot. Even the tow rope is clear. That had to have taken some skill.
LetItBeFun

Postby LetItBeFun » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:26 am

C-Max, love the portrait of the pilot -- it looks very authentic (sort of a bored waiting for clearance :))
Gwen -- it was sheer luck to get the shot with this lens. As I'm doing most of my work by pulling focus manually, it helped -- but handholding the bellows with the left hand and operating some five controls with the right is usually way too slow to get (fast) moving subjects. Actually, it would have been faster to change lenses (if I only had an AF lens longer than 50 mm :)) But as I am a "slow shooter" and not very interested in "subjects" but "scenes", I think this picture works for me. Plane spotters will be disappointed as one cannot read the call sign of the aircraft :)

pietopper

Postby pietopper » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:25 am

GwenBriar wrote:pietopper, Are those the flowers that have sticky bases? I remember something like that from my childhood. They were very annoying. Really enjoying all the flowers.

Yes, they do have sticky bases and they come off and stick to your legs. Not sure if that is part of their seed distribution strategy.
"This particularly rapid unintelligible patter
isn't generally heard.
And if it is, it doesn't matter. "
-- W S Gilbert
essjaynz

Postby essjaynz » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:33 am

This is a fun challenge and I am enjoying seeing all the great shots. It is fun seeing work from familiar names form previous challenges and the newer people. I am hoping to get back into Flickr before the end of the challenge so I can post on some photos in there. I haven't been able to get in for a couple of years, maybe the new owners will be more helpful, I already got an answer to one email so that is a start...

MrsHjort:
Your edits are improving each scene but in a totally realistic way to make the scenery even more beautiful, it looked like a great trip. Hope you are back to 100% soon and thanks for setting this challenge up.

Defyaugury:
I love the details and scenes within your shots, very creative and I hope to see more of your images.

MadamMtnLion:
Your technique is really evolving and you have some amazing shots. Your latest does have touch of Medusa about it I am enjoying your trademark thumbnails of your challenge and alternatives. I am hoping to get back into Flickr before the end of the challenge so I can post on individual shots. I haven't been able to get in for a couple of years, maybe the new owners will be more helpful, I already got an answer to one email so that is a start...

C-Max:
Aha I also didn't realise who you were! :-) I'm enjoying the variety of your shots and you sure are passionate about flight. The heat effect on Gleaming is stunning and it almost looks like a painting, I also really like Mango with the crowd in front.

pietopper:
I am enjoying your lovely detailed frame filling shots of such a variety of local flowers, keep it up!

Craig_r:
Great to see you back on here, I can't believe it is 8 years already and great to see your family updates. Hope William's cataract op went smoothly, he has had a lot to deal with.

GwenBriar:
This road trip looks great fun, and being from another era nostalgic. I like the edits you are making (thanks for showing the before and afters)and the details you are getting out of the images.

LetItBeFun:
You have a wide variety of photos, I love the doves in the nest, they are so camouflaged. That bellow setup is intriguing and beautifully photographed.

Return to “Photography”