Show Us What You Made Today

Diogenese
Quartermaster

Re: Show Us What You Made Today

Postby Diogenese » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:29 am

I'm not sure what is going on with that surfboard either. If you are rendering in IRay, you might be getting camera headlamp light. You need to turn that to off or auto. If it is 3Delight it could be ambient light. Yeah, the older backgrounds look pretty cheesy these days. You can use a DOF camera setting to blur them, it wouldn't help you with the "sand" though. You could use a shader and drop the tile size down. A low resolution prop is a low resolution prop either way, they are good for "studio" or cartoon type shots, if you are looking for realistic you have to go with higher resolution ones, and those take longer to render. sometimes much longer.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. :roll:

| General FAQ | Effects FAQ | Illustration FAQ | Photography FAQ | Writing FAQ | 3D FAQ | Brawl FAQ | BotS FAQ |
MsgtBob

Postby MsgtBob » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:50 am

Skyangel wrote:My first Daz attempt without following any tutorials.
surfer.jpg
All suggestions and constructive critique will be greatly appreciated.
Not sure what's wrong with this but the lighting on the surfboard doesn't look right to me. I think that bright edge on the left of the screen should be in shadow since the light on the surfer is coming from the right side.
I have absolutely no idea what I did with those lights.
That background scene also looks terrible to me but its one of the built in backgrounds.

The first thing I noticed was the sand at the feet and board bottom. What is causing the clouds of sand? Anyway the most important thing I noticed is that the lighting for your guy and board is coming from the right, but the background lighting is coming from the back right (look at the shadows from the rocks and the coloring of the big rocks on the left. Changing the light to match would probably still have the light on the upper right of the board, but maybe his head would be casting some shadow onto the front of the board (and of course the shadows on the ground would be at an angle to the front left).
Aargh!
Skyangel

Postby Skyangel » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:55 pm

Diogenese wrote:I'm not sure what is going on with that surfboard either. If you are rendering in IRay, you might be getting camera headlamp light. You need to turn that to off or auto. If it is 3Delight it could be ambient light. Yeah, the older backgrounds look pretty cheesy these days. You can use a DOF camera setting to blur them, it wouldn't help you with the "sand" though. You could use a shader and drop the tile size down. A low resolution prop is a low resolution prop either way, they are good for "studio" or cartoon type shots, if you are looking for realistic you have to go with higher resolution ones, and those take longer to render. sometimes much longer.

It was rendered in Iray so I will remember to check the camera headlamp in future.
Regarding backgrounds, is it better to render without a background picture and add one in post processing?
Skyangel

Postby Skyangel » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:20 pm

MsgtBob wrote:The first thing I noticed was the sand at the feet and board bottom. What is causing the clouds of sand? Anyway the most important thing I noticed is that the lighting for your guy and board is coming from the right, but the background lighting is coming from the back right (look at the shadows from the rocks and the coloring of the big rocks on the left. Changing the light to match would probably still have the light on the upper right of the board, but maybe his head would be casting some shadow onto the front of the board (and of course the shadows on the ground would be at an angle to the front left).

I started post processing it and painted sand on the feet and board in photoshop but I gave up because it still looked terrible. Besides the lighting being all wrong, I think that background spoils the whole scene but it was the only background I could find in the program with an ocean on it. I need to figure out how to add custom backgrounds into the program or do horizontal flips of backgrounds when necessary. Flipping pictures is easy enough to do in photoshop but I have no idea if it can even be done in Daz.

Maybe its better to stick with the 3D environment scenes for backgrounds and not use backdrop pictures but I have yet to find a 3D environment scene with realistic ocean water in the background.

It would be fun to put this surfer guy on his surfboard and make him ride the waves but I have no clue how to do it all in Daz yet so the waves can be rotated with the guy in them. The only way I can think of is to pose him on the board and then paste him into a 2D wave scene in photoshop.
bajazet
Quartermaster

Postby bajazet » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:49 am

You can substitute your own images on the backdrop you used - I even did a tutorial on how to do it:
http://www.mbfantasyworld.co.uk/tut6.html

As for water there is a link in the 3D forum in Tips and Tricks to a tutorial on how to create water.

I hope that is of some use to you.
Skyangel

Postby Skyangel » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:54 am

bajazet wrote:You can substitute your own images on the backdrop you used - I even did a tutorial on how to do it:
http://www.mbfantasyworld.co.uk/tut6.html

As for water there is a link in the 3D forum in Tips and Tricks to a tutorial on how to create water.

I hope that is of some use to you.

Thanks Bajazet. It's very useful and helpful. I will have fun trying those tuts.
Diogenese
Quartermaster

Postby Diogenese » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:14 pm

Sorry, no pictures were attached to your post. There are a couple of ways to get them there, you can put them in your portfolio here and link to them, or you can add them directly with the attachments tab under the post editing screen when you make a post.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. :roll:

| General FAQ | Effects FAQ | Illustration FAQ | Photography FAQ | Writing FAQ | 3D FAQ | Brawl FAQ | BotS FAQ |

Return to “3D Art”